Hello all - LHD conversion or not?

Hi all,

Quick introduction.... have just finished building a kit car (Dax Rush) and half way through that realised that actually would prefer something a little more like a TR! So, bought a late TR4A from Arizona, which duly arrived (eventually) and is now being stripped for a full restoration. Looks pretty solid - sills and the bottom 3 inches of the front wings have gone, but everything else looks OK (at the moment). On the other hand, the sun has wrecked the interior - so that will take a lot of work....

Question is - and there's no rush at the moment obviously - but should we convert it 'back' to RHD? Arguments for - it will be worth more (not that that's why we're doing it), will be easier to drive... arguments against - makes trips into France more appealing, leave it as it was intended to be....

What do you guys think?? Any opinions gratefully received! Thanks!

Thanks

Chris

2triumph.jpg

Welcome. I imported my TR4 from the USA and I am converting it to RHD. The main reason is that it is easier to drive a RHD in this country. I also find it easier to drive a RHD car in France than a LHD, but that may just be me. The car may then be worth a little more, but for some reason not as much as an original RHD car, even though they were both made in the same factorydry.gif

Your car doesn't look too bad, certainly better than mine was. Don't be misled by parts being listed in the catalogues, some of them are unobtainable, an example that springs to mind is the rear valence that has been unobtainable for more than 3 years. There will be a wealth of information and help on this Forum when you need it- it certainly has helped me!

Hi Chris,

I too converted an Ex-Californian car. A lot of original UK cars have had hard lives due to our lovely climate, and will have had several panel repairs, or even rebodied with a decent LHD conversion. The RHD versus Converted-LHD thing is a bit daft really. I think it only really applies to very original, very early or cars of special significance during production or motorsport etc. Once a car has had a full resto it's a restored car either way!

The RHD conversion is dead easy, so don't be put off by thinking it's more complicated than it's worth. Make sure you keep all the dismantled parts until you know you don't need them - They may be more useful/ usable than they look!

Keep us posted. A few more photos would be good too!

Adey

I too have converted my 4a from left to right although I was lucky as the car came with all the relevant bits necessary. I dont see any real problem with L/R conversions as the factory were quite happy to do it for any number of reasons including shortages for one or other market. Its not over difficult to do and if done nicely is undetectable except by chassis plate. Its your car you do whatever you want. As to values the car is worth the condition of it at point of sale and whatever a buyer is prepared to pay, you can ask what you like but wether you will get it is another matter! There are far more left hand drive ones surviving than right hand cars so if you arent worried about converting it then find a dry state (Southern California/Nevada/Arizona/New Mexico/Texas) car as there will be a lot less welding to do.

In the next village to me lives a 4a that has come from an Air Force base in Arizona and there is no rot whatsoever in it, the owner has kept it LHand and is quite happy with it that way.

Stuart.

Nice one Chris... I didn't even consider the possibility of keeping mine LHD.... just makes road sense to convert it. Take your time getting the steering column bulkhead hole and brackets in the right place. You'll find that a restoration rather than a nice new kit build will take a LOT of time.

It would be worth getting to Malvern in July searching for those vital bits..... pedals or box, steering rack, hood frame? etc....

and join the Register of course :mellow:

best of luck

john

Hi Chris,

Conversion to rhd is not particularly costly, if you are completely rebuilding anyway, and it's more likely to resell in the UK.

On the other hand, lhd is probably quicker, cheaper and less work - and assuming that the car is rebuilt to a high standard, there should be a future resale market in Europe.

The real question is perhaps . . . how much Continental, as opposed to UK, driving do you envisage ?

Cheers,

Alec