Flat glass temp gauge

Hi All,

Still scratching my head about this one:

Why does the later TR4 temp gauge have 70 deg as normal?

Mine runs at 85 deg (measured with infra-red non-contact thingy at the thermostat) and thus reads slightly to the right of the normal window on the gauge.

Bill's "bible" states that operating temp is 86 degrees, so why the flip does the gauge have normal as 70 deg?

Should there be a resistor/ shunt in the loom to shift the needle? Or maybe I should just paint a white line on the gauge where 70 deg is so that I can concentrate on the road from now on!

The whole cooling system appears fine, the rad will allow a fast running hose-pipe flow to run through it without backing up in the slightest, there's a new proper 80 deg thermostat in the housing, and the the Kenlow ticks in and out when stationary: On for about 3-4 mins on a really warm day, then off for about 5 mins.

arrrggh!

Cheers

Adey

Edited by Ade-TR4

Is the car, or gauge, of ex hot country origin, when the thermostat would have been a 74* model ?

Still scratching my head about this one:

Why does the later TR4 temp gauge have 70 deg as normal?

I don't have any real information on this one, but considering the documented

reasons for such factory anomalies as changing from SUs to Strombergs then

back to SUs, my suspicion would be the reason would be nothing to do with the

operating temperature!!

AlanR

Can any owners of TR4s report similar issues with their gauges?

If it's a gauge issue then Triumph must have been plagued by owners worrying about their engine temps!

Thanks for the replies so far

Ade

FIXED IT!!!!!!! :rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::lol::P

Checked the resistance of the original thermocouple/ thermistor against a brand new one

Old = 66 ohm at 80 deg

New = 95 Ohm at 80 deg (GTR104 pn)

Looks like the old one was either knackered or incorrect type.

Just had to take it out for a drive (obviously). The temp never budged above the "normal" region either side of 70.

Kenlowe kicks in as normal and keeps the temp from going out of the normal region

:P !!!

Adey

Edited by Ade-TR4

FWIW: My domed glass 4 runs at 185 in old money, equivalent to 85 in Celsius (Centigrade as was).

Mike

My point exactly!

Why have an engine running at 185 DegF which is 86 deg C, but have a gauge indicating "Normal" as 70 deg C?

I suspect that there was a mistake in production as 70 deg C is 158 deg F, not 185 deg F. Coincidence?

Anyway, The new thermistor has mysteriously cured the "problem" by basically increasing the resistance and landing the needle smack bang on 70 deg C on my gauge!

Cheers

Adey

Here's my guess: they designed it to read 70 when the actual temperature was 85 so that the customers wouldn't get concerned about overheating. The factory notice about fitting tropical fans for customers who complained about overheating came out in July 1963 - the first summer for the TR4. My January 1962 TR4 has a domed glass temp gauge that reads 185 F under normal circumstances - and a tropical six-bladed fan.

The factory notice about

fitting tropical fans for customers who complained about overheating came out in July 1963 -

the first summer for the TR4. My January 1962 TR4 has a domed glass temp gauge that reads

185 F under normal circumstances - and a tropical six-bladed fan.

I think this must be the notice you mean, but I don't think it's relating to overheating in the

context of this thread.

I can understand the factory putting 70ºC to avoid drivers worrying about the temperature

getting too close to boiling, as I'm sure most people wouldn't realise that the boiling point

of water under pressure is higher that if NOT under pressure, but if that were the reason,

then I would expect it to be factory policy throughout the range, not just for TRs. Is there

any evidence of that?

I'm no expert, but isn't 85ºC more like a normal operating temperature than 70ºC?

Two interesting little asides in the notice -

Reference to TR-4, not TR4 or TR 4 (this isn't fully consistent throughout the bulletins)

"A number of water pumps has . . . ." - grammar looks wrong but in fact absolutely

correct. Perhaps wrote the manuals had a degree in English rather than mechanical

engineering!!

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

"I'm no expert, but isn't 85ºC more like a normal operating temperature than 70ºC?"

My point exactly!

Which is why I think the 70c was a production mistake (158F not 185F) and the higher resistance temp-sender was the remedy!

My engine runs at 86C, with the new sender the gauge shows 70C dead. With the earlier Smiths sender, it shows 86C on the gauge and "looks" like it's running hot.

Ade