After last weeks Northumbria Group run to the Falkirk Wheel (great place by the way - see http://www.falkirk-wheel.com/ or http://www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk/ ) I was told that the brake lights on my 4A were not working. I've just checked them tonight and narrowed the fault down to the mechanical brake light switch, as mounted on the pedal mounting bracket. It appears that the rivet which seems to secure connector (that the brass terminal with the cable attached pushed over) is not sufficiently tight thereby allowing a bad connection to appear, in fact it is sloppy. Messing around with it confirms that the lights do work but as I can't drive with the bonnet up, leaning over the windscreen at the same time as presing the pedal and holding the two parts tightly together I suppose I'd better get a new switch.

In the Moss catalogue these are listed under part number 134529 SWITCH, brake lamp mechanical, 1964 to ‘67.

As the suppliers are not open until tomorrow to order a new one I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of good or poor quality of these parts so that I can avoid any problem items.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Sometimes you can fix the loose rivet syndrome.

Degrease the offending item, with meths or electrical switch cleaner.

Superglue to secure it under pressure initially, and when it's locked in place a dab of epoxy over the top to secure it more permanently. Doesn't always work, depends on the materials involved, but often as not it'll last for years.

As you've nothing to lose, it might be worth a try ?

Cheers,

Alec