TR4 rumbles - diff problems ... ?

Hi

I'm Adrian Jefferies, an occasional poster, Register member & owner of a mostly-unrestored TR4 (some 18 years now).

The car is, as they say "ready for restoration", and has become somewhat tired. I can get it scraped through an MoT, but its looking a bit unkempt these days.

However, the other day when I was driving normally, I noticed that it felt I was driving over a rough surface - that familiar rumble & vibration. However, when I took my foot off the accelerator - the sensation vanished. Putting the power back on, and there it was again. Always repeatable. I first noticed this when doing about +50mph.

So suggestions as to what might be up, if you please? I'm working some odd hours over the next few days, but I'll read this and summarise next week.

Here are my thoughts:

- prop shaft (the bolts did loosen up some years ago - but there are no "clunks" in the drive train)

- Gearbox & overdrive are fine, clutch fine

- no pulling; brakes fine

- engine mounts very old - maybe original?

- engine running fine (seems to start & pull ok, its pretty old & well Round the Clock)

-???

thanks for listening.

Adrian

Adrian

Trying the simple things first...are you happy that there s plenty of oil in the back axle? Removing the filler plug and dipping the tip of your little finger/ a twist of kitchen paper should show oil close to the thread.

"rumble and vibration" always throws up a number of possibilities to eliminate...how about the exhaust system integrity ? All bolted down/ manifold to engine block , rubber strap hanger present an correct, etc.

The cause could be a combination of things when the power is put down and worn engine mounts and gearbox mounts will allow quite a bit of movement.

Shock absorbers/ rear springs/ U bolts tight ?

A few things to have a look at.

Bob

If you are unlucky, a tooth may have come off the pinion of crown wheel in the back axle. Such a failure can produce a noise on drive but not on over-run (or vice versa). If one tooth has sheared off, another will follow soon, I'm afraid. You may be able to detect such a failure by disconnecting the prop shaft at the axle and rotating forwards and backwards by hand - if you think that is the problem, drain the axle, get the diff cover off and see what's in there. No good running with a sheared tooth, as you'll get a lot of ground up bits in the axle and, as happened to my brother some 30 years ago, a broken tooth may jam in between crown wheel and pinion, locking the axle (he was lucky to be travelling at about 30 mph!).

I hope it's something simpler!

Best wishes,

Ian Cornish

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

My rumbles are caused by very worn U/J's on the propshaft, according to my local & very good garage.

Sorry for the delay in replying - these things take time.

Many thanks to previous posters.

Adrian