Question on Alloy Hardtop

I am in the process of refurbishing an alloy hardtop centre section which I purchased a while back. The top had been worked on a bit by the previous owner - other than a primer coating, what appears to be silicone sealant had been used along the top sides along the gutters. Was a sealant used originally? I will likely pull this material off anyway as I'm concerned that paint won't adhere very well - but I will use an appropriate seam sealer if that is called for.

Thanks,

Randy

Randy,

I have had a fair number of steel and aluminium hardtop centre sections pass through my hands.

Obviously, none of them were new. I am sure that possibly one or two were original and unmessed with.

I have never found any sealant on the centre section and I cannot see why there would be any where you describe.

My concern would be that this sealant may be filling up some holes. Even though it is not a steel centre section, take care as aluminium ones do still corrode, just somewhat slower than the steel ones!

Regards

David

Hi Randy, I recently stripped the paint off my aluminium hardtop centre section.

There was no indication of any seam sealer along the sides just spot welding.

Could be that the previous owner bodged something in

:blink:

Hi

Clear sealant was used by the factory to seal the aluminium surfaces that mated as the tops were painted after assembly. It is normal to find this in the gutter channels and in front and rear sections where the complex pressings attach.

I have NOS one in primer and you can see the sealant in the correct place. Eaach of the dozen or so I have / have had had the same, the exception being the MOSS aftermarket one which was quite a different shape also.

Regards

Tony

Thanks All-

I've been working on the backlight assembly and aside from being very tired looking it seems to be in reasonable shape. Next stop is the centre section, I don't trust the applied sealant to hold paint so it is best to remove it first to see if any problems are lurking underneath. I'm not suspecting anything worse than perhaps a cracked spot weld or two.

Regards,

Randy