TR4 Wing Repairs

Hello

I have a couple of wings from a TR4A which I want to use on my TR4. This means I have to fill the holes where the lights used to be. I presume someone has done this before - how easy is it to do?

Also, one of the wings needs to have the bottom section replaced where it bolts on to the sill. The guy doing my bodywork is saying this will be difficult to repair. However I know that this is a common repair so I would like to know if someone can let me know how easy this is to do and whether a competent repair man would be able to do this as I am thinking about taking about taking mu business elsewhere.

Thanks

Myles

Your bodyman could easily weld a bit of steel in the redundant holes, and you can get repair pieces for the bottom of the wings from TR Bitz. The fit is not too bad- a body man should find any fettling fairly easy. TR Bitz are one of the few- the only?- supplier of part panels for repair for the Michelotti body. I used these panels and a front panel and a valence from them. All required a little work, but easy enough.

you can get repair pieces for the bottom of the wings

There are a couple on eBay at the moment.

In case you can't find them, I'll add a link when I get a moment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-TR4-TR4A-TR5...id=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-TR4-TR4A-TR5...id=p3286.c0.m14

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Hi Myles,

Have patience with your body man . . . given an appropriate repair panel, the lower wing repair should indeed be within the competence of a decent body man. However, without said panel it's a much more laborious and skilful task. Your man may well be thinking of the latter task :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec

Thanks for your comments. I have indeed seen the tr-bitz repair patches on e-bay and I'll check them out if I am unable to make one decent fender from the two that I have. Also does anyone know if tr-bitz do a repair panel for the front portion of the inner wing which is normally hidden behind the lower valance (triangle shaped)? Mine are pretty corroded and could do with relacement.

Thanks

Myles

Also does anyone know if tr-bitz do a repair panel for the front portion of the inner wing which is normally

hidden behind the lower valance (triangle shaped)? Mine are pretty corroded and could do with relacement.

I know these are available but I don't know who from. Try TRBitz first but it may

be that individual restorers have templates and make them up as required for

restorations rather than marketing them. TR Enterprises made up some small

inner wing repair sections for my 4 (front and rear)

You will probably find the repair section is a bit larger than you need, maybe

almost a full panel, but it must be more economic that way rather than having

different sizes of repair panel (and better than not being big enough!)

AlanR