According to the Towergate article in TRaction 226, the TRR scheme can provide cover for "Rallies up to National B".

I have searched the internet, including RAC and MSA sites, but cannot find any definitions of rally categories and legal requirements. Does anyone know where I should be looking?

Hi Brian

National B relates to the license grade that you require as a driver / navigator to be eligible for entry to the event. Most historic rallies in the are at National B level, but there are varying grades;

Nat B Non Race / Rally - most road rallies, tours etc - here the TR Register Policy will only cover you on the public highway and excludes any for of 'speed testing' ... i.e. against the clock or other cars on driving tests, so separate insurance is required if this is your need, otherwise its all at your own risk.

Nat B Race / rally - most stage / circuit events, where you need to your ARDS to get the licence - here your TR Register Policy will NOT cover you in any way.

Regards

Tony

Thanks Alec and Tony.

The lady at Towergate was not certain what was meant, but we both felt it probably covers touring rallies, treasure hunts, etc but not proper rallies with clocks, average speeds and target times. I guess it's a case of checking with one's insurer before entering any event, even on public roads. As far as I'm concerned 'own risk' is too much risk in the context of possibly injuring or killing a passenger, other rally entrant or spectator.

Brian,

You may be a little surprised at how much is covered by the Towergate/Cornhill policy in respect of National B rallies on public roads, involving clocks, average speeds and target times.

The short answer as far as I am aware is that, as Tony points out, for the elements of these on public roads you are covered by the standard policy. The tests etc are on closed roads or private land and therefore are not covered.

Regards

David