MSA Rule Changes - another cock-up?

All,

Just received my copy of "Motorsports NOW!" for Spring 2008.

It includes the usual 'Rule Changes' article, and as usual they have slipped in a nice little earner for the FIA.

P.46 Bottom right

"Common Regs for competitors" In yellow as this is a proposed change, to be implemented 1/1/09 after ratification by the Council in June.

You can read it for yourself, but it means that most racers and hillclimbers, as well as the other disciplines, will have to have a dry-break, fuel sampling port next to their carb or injection unit. AND have the necessary coupling with hose at all times. AND have enough fuel in the tank for samples to be taken.

Same page, top left, stipulates that three, one litre samples shall be taken for analysis. So you can't run your tank less than three litres dry. This is 'immediate'.

"Road going production classes" are exempt, but I know that many race cars are not MoT compliant, so cannot argue that they are 'road going'. I've had a quick scan to find the price of an FIA approved dry break coupling, and Demon Tweeks sell them for £216.75 PLUS VAT (£255).

The MSA gives a reason for this, "Grounds of safety, to reduce risk whilst fuel samples are taken" Not that fuel samples are ever taken in many events.

It looks like the MSA has been goosed by the FIA and has gone off, again, at half cock, as it were. "Final wording to be ratified at the June Council meeting," so I suggest that as many licence holders as possible write to the MSA Council asap, to protest and ask that this be modified, so that it applies only where it is necessary.

The Chairman of the Committee of the MSA is Graham Stoker.

The Chairman of the Race committee is Robin Knight (also 750MC Sec, and a very sensible man).

The Hill Climb sub-committee chair is Simon Durling.

I suggest a copy to the Chief Exec. Colin Hilton, as well.

Quote your Licence No. to make clear you are a participating member.

Address the letters to these gentlemen at:

The Motor Sports Association

Motor Sports House

Riverside Park

Colnbrook

SL3 0HG

Hope for luck! It worked last time, over the fog lights!

John

• 1 month later...

All,

If anyone is interested, I have a rely from the MSA:

MOTOR SPORTS ASSOCIATION L UNITED KINGDOM

Our Ref: JAS /jas/13526

23 May 2008

Dr J R Davies Albert House Haverbreaks Lancaster LA1 SBN

Dear Dr Davies

Re: Fuel Sampling

Thank you for your recent letter which I have discussed with Robin Knight of the 750MC.

Robin is, I understand, to publicise details of where the appropriate dry break couplings can be obtained at a cost of less than £100. Quite where the quoted by a number of persons cost of £250 comes from I am not sure for our research cannot find a coupling of such cost.

Since publicity in Motor Sports Now the regulation has been slightly amended in that dr~breaks are only required on fuel injected cars. The exclusion for road going production cars competing in road going classes remains. This exclusion was primarily made to accommodate the sprint or hill climb competitor running in the appropriate class.

Whilst in some areas there has been little routine fuel testing there are an increasing number of championships, at all levels, running control fuel. Part of the condition of running control fuel is that there is testing at each and every round. The regulations have provided for fuel testing for many years and apart from routine tests there is always the possibility of fuel being protested, hence the need to make provision for the easy drawing of fuel samples.

We trust the above information is of assistance.

Yours sincerely

For Motor Sports Association

JOHN SYMES

Technical & Risk Control Manager

cc Robin Knight, 750MC

THE ROYAL AUTOMOBILE CLUB MOTOR SPORTS ASSOCIATION LIMITED

M0TOR SPORTS HOUSE, RIVERSIDE PARK, COLNBROOK SL3 OHG, ENGLAND TEL I Ol75 3-6 5000 FAX tEL: 0175 376 5000 FAX 0175 368 2938 WEB www.msauk.org REGISTERED OFFICE AS ABOVE REGISTERED NUMBER 13448929 ENGLAND

This won't help me and won't help many TR racers.

I have replied to say that while the MSA regs provide for fule testing, they do not mandate it. And to ask why a series that does not use fuel testing should be compelled to fit sampling ports?

A few similar letters from fellow TR racers might help make the point , but if the only protest you wnat to ake is to sign meaningless e.gov petitions ....

Get your pen out!

John

Hi John

After your initial post I did write to the MSA asking them to reconsider this proposal but needless to say have not received a reply.

However the plot thickens - a friend of mine who is well connected has established that in Speed Events this will only be a requirement for competitors in National Championships but how this might affect circuit racers who knows??

Regards

John

John,

You friend may know more than was published in Motorsports NOW! (!), which included Sprints & Hill Climb in the list of disciplines affected.

But once again, this is the MSA going off at half cock, to cause a complete cock-up. A definitive anaoncement is made, followed by fudging, special cases and exclusions. I hope it will now be followed by a climb down,ad quiet abandonment of the idea, as with FIA fog lights.

John