Removing rocker shaft

Hi, do I need to open up the rocker clearances before I remove the shaft from the head? [i'll be refitting it] - don't want to bend anything, but would prefer not to have to start from scratch with the clearances after re-installation.

Thanks

Andy

Andy

I would expect that if the rocker is reinstalled evenly (tightenig a little a time on each pedestal) you should have no problems. However, saying that, it does not take long at all to reset valve/rocker clearances...

Rgds

Hi, do I need to open up the rocker clearances before I remove the shaft from the head? [i'll be refitting it] - don't want to bend anything, but would prefer not to have to start from scratch with the clearances after re-installation.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy, just undo all the pedestal nuts evenly(rather than one at a time) so that the shaft rises with the valve springs, once all tension has been released you can remove each nut and washer and carefully slide the whole shaft off the studs.

You will have to,at the very least, check each valve clearance when you put it back together again(use the same even nut technique for re-installation)

Cheers Rob

Hi, do I need to open up the rocker clearances before I remove the shaft from the head? [i'll be refitting it] - don't

want to bend anything, but would prefer not to have to start from scratch with the clearances after re-installation.

The shaft and rockers are strong enough to take the force of the valve springs without distorting.

(Unless something has already fractured, and you would like to know about that anyway).

AlanR

Hi Andy, are you also planning to remove the pushrods?, if you do, remember to rotate them and be sure none are stuck to the cam followers as if they are then you could end up lifting a cam follower out of it's bore. They can be a bugger to get back in once out, I have had one sitting half on the ledge just above its bore and eventually got it back in using a magnetic pick up tool and a piece of wire coat hanger, otherwise it's a sump off job!

Also keep them in the same order, I use a piece of cardboard and push them through 8 numbered holes.

Best of luck, Chris

Hi Andy, are you also planning to remove the pushrods?, if you do, remember to rotate them and be sure none are stuck to the cam followers as if they are then you could end up lifting a cam follower out of it's bore. They can be a bugger to get back in once out, I have had one sitting half on the ledge just above its bore and eventually got it back in using a magnetic pick up tool and a piece of wire coat hanger, otherwise it's a sump off job!

Also keep them in the same order, I use a piece of cardboard and push them through 8 numbered holes.

Best of luck, Chris

Chris, good advice thanks