Position of Clutch Slave Cylinder

Hi all, HELP I am having a nightmare trying to get my clutch to operate. Seems that there is about an inch of travel of the slave cylinder piston before it makes contact with the clutch operating rod!

Which side does the Slave Cylinder mounting bracket go, engine side or gearbox side. Fitting it on the gearbox side if that's possible would take up the slack that I have. I did'nt take the car apart so have no recall. None of the books I've got seem to show an overall diagram, thanks Rich

Hi Rich

The clutch slave cylinder should be mounted with the mounting flange on the gearbox side of the engine backplate ie put the main body of the cylinder through the hole in the backplate from the rear (gearbox) side of the backplate. I have checked in both the Repair Operation Manual and the Haynes Manual and both show it in this position have even looked at my car, all the same. If you are still having trouble have a look here http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/ load of TR6 clutch information.

Good luck, hope this helps

Cheers

Bill

If you also happen to have the master out, I just fitted the Revington adjustable pushrod on my master, which may help if your pedal travel is marginal. This could in fact be fitted without taking the master off the car, and it's only a few quid.

I also installed their 0.75" master, so now have plenty of travel although of course the pedal is a bit heavier.

Ivor

Hi all, HELP I am having a nightmare trying to get my clutch to operate. Seems that there is about an inch of travel of the slave cylinder piston before it makes contact with the clutch operating rod!

Which side does the Slave Cylinder mounting bracket go, engine side or gearbox side. Fitting it on the gearbox side if that's possible would take up the slack that I have. I did'nt take the car apart so have no recall. None of the books I've got seem to show an overall diagram, thanks Rich

Hi Rich,

The clutch master cylinder bracket fits against the engine plate, the master cylinder mounting (where the bolts go through) facing towards the rear, don't forget the bleed nipple uppermost.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Hi Rich

The clutch slave cylinder should be mounted with the mounting flange on the gearbox side of the engine backplate ie put the main body of the cylinder through the hole in the backplate from the rear (gearbox) side of the backplate. I have checked in both the Repair Operation Manual and the Haynes Manual and both show it in this position have even looked at my car, all the same. If you are still having trouble have a look here http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/ load of TR6 clutch information.

Good luck, hope this helps

Cheers

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that. I have the slave cylinder entererd into the mounting plate from the rear so the slave cylinder flange is gearbox side of the plate. But what about the mounting plate is this mounted on the gearbox or the engine side? This if its possible to mount onthe gearbox side would take up the 1" or so piston movement I have before contact woth the acting rod, <_< Rich