Hi,

I recently bought a heater unit on Ebay as a future replacement for the one fitted to my car. The one currently installed has two white wires coming out of the casing. The unit purchased on Ebay has three wires, one white, one green with a brown trace and the third is green with a yellow trace. I checked the unit with an old battery and it would appear that it is a two speed unit, the white feeds power to it and the two green wires provide the two speeds, depending on which one is connected to the battery. I have been unable to find a wiring diagram which shows three wires coming from the heater fan motor. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Graham

Edited by Grahamgl

Graham

Go to Dan Masters wiring driagrams @ www.dcta.org/?p=116......choose the TR5 version for a two speed heater.The numbers on the block relate to the numbers on the back of the two speed switch you have( or will need to acquire.)

Hope this helps.

Bob

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Can I assume that the white wire on my heater fan is the equivalent to the green wire in the diagram as that appears to be the live feed to the switch or am I reading the diagram incorrectly?

Graham

Yes.

British Standard Wiring Colours allocates White as :- Ignition control cicuit ( unfused ) (Ingnition switch to ballast resistor)

Green as :-Accessories fused via ignition switch ( subsidiary cicuit fuse A4 to hazard switch terminal 6)).

If you are happy with the state of the wiring and grommets... install.

I decided with my resto, I wasn't planning to have the heater to bits again "any time soon" and therefore rewired ( ditching the 42 year old wiring), new grommets ,new connectors and new sheathing.Electrical fires under the dash don't feature on my wish list.

Bob