Does it still count as a sports car if it has an auto box? I don't think so! Next they be putting ABS and traction contol in the poor car.

There is nothing wrong with auto boxes, for normal use, I have had them for years on my Volvo's, V90, V70, nothing can match em, no clutch to change no mechanicals to wear out, fastest thing away from the lights mate.

and the new generation ones such as the 6 speed auto on my Skoda octavia is the brass bands bugle.

Seriouse mileage travellers in the UK dont want a clutch for gods sake, the traffics appaling, stationary more times than not, you can see the poor sods everywhere the left leg bigger than the right,

Limping about the place.

the clutch brigade, no thanks. my TR3 has a clutch, but those who decry autos are usually armchair racers, they also decry power steering, ( you cant feel the road etc etc ) what a lot of tosh.

I will not mention the DOUBLE de clutch afficionado's. it gets worse.

Interesting that this 1959 TR3A has the chassis number TS2408L. or am I missing something ?

Even more interesting that Peter finds his slushpump boxes have no mechanicals to wear out . . . every damn auto box I've ever driven has got old and tired before its time ;)

Maybe Peter has never had the dubious pleasure of driving an old-time Yank Tank on a 2-speed Hydramatic or whatever they called the damn things . . . **** off a shovel in Low, then felt like you'd thrown out three parachutes as you hit High. rocket ship to windjammer in one smooth easy clutchless change. I guess someone must have loved them, or maybe they just didn't know any better ?

There's nothing wrong with a clutch, you just need a decent lump with torque spread. At least my everyday old Rovers have got some of that, in contrast to some of the modern Euroboxes I get to drive now and again - gutless little hatches that need to be rowed along with the wretched gearstick, and pogo dancing on the left pedal. Two things the Turbo Vitesse and the 7V8 have in common, 200bhp at the wheels and 30-150mph in 5th no problem. Even in 3rd you can go from a brisk walking pace to the ton.

As for double declutching, well what's wrong with that for heaven's sake, except jealousy from those who've never mastered the art ? One day I'll wear out a gearbox I suppose, but 40 years of double-declutching when appropriate and I haven't worn out a manual box yet . . . :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec

Does it still count as a sports car if it has an auto box? I don't think so! Next they be putting ABS and traction contol in the poor car.

Reading the description of why he built it, and given the occasional enquiries on this forum, from owners with a weak left leg, of how to overcome the heavy clutch problem, it does make sense. However, I do wonder why it is now for sale after so much effort.

Reading the description of why he built it, and given the occasional enquiries on this forum, from owners with a weak left leg, of how to overcome the heavy clutch problem, it does make sense. However, I do wonder why it is now for sale after so much effort.

If you read down the ad apparently the old couple have now got into bikes!!! :o

Stuart.

I drive an auto every day in the UK and did every day when I lived in Canada. My pickup truck's transmission did wear out twice. Very unreliable Chevy! And for me very boring.

I prefer the auto around town because it is easier to drive in traffic. However, thats when I'm driving the family shopping trolley with wife, baby and dog.

To me a sports car is a different animal. It's not driven for convienience, or for serious milage, it's driven for fun. And for me that means a manual gearbox. I don't want any kind of assistance, including power steering, traction control or ABS. If I wanted all that I'd get a modern car.

I personally think the act of putting an auto box in a 50 year old sports car is criminal. If you can't drive it, don't buy it!

Flash