Hi Everyone

My TR5 has a chrome air manifold and also a chrome battery clamp

Now I'm pretty sure that battery clamps only ever came in black, I've seen a number of photos of TR5's with chrome air manifolds

Original TR doesn't mention them and only shows them in the speckled black (wrong term I know)

Given the history of the car I'd be surprised if the manifold was ever changed, but who can tell

Any help as to what TR5's should have would be great

Thanks

Andy

Hi Everyone

Now I'm pretty sure that battery clamps only ever came in black, I've seen a number of photos of TR5's with chrome air manifolds

Original TR doesn't mention them and only shows them in the speckled black (wrong term I know)

Given the history of the car I'd be surprised if the manifold was ever changed, but who can tell

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

The air inlet manifold was the same on the TR6pi, the finish is Crackle Black. Regarding the battery clamp, yes that was painted with black enamel paint. Obviously the chrome plating was an embellishment.

Regards,

Hi Andy

As Dave has said the 5 airbox plenums were originally black crinkle finish. As far as I know the only alteration from that of a TR6 is the connection at the front which connects to the 'tickover' valve. Early 5's didn't have a tickover valve and so didn't have the connection pipe into the plenum.

My early 5 didn't have the valve and the tickover had to be set by gapping the butterflies to 1 thou apiece. Apparently they wouldn't tickover when new so when mine was 11 years old and with 100,000 miles through its linkeages I didn't have a hope in hell. Later 5's seem to have a 'hybrid' valve fitted with a steel body and hexagonal bolt forming the adjuster. The later 6 version is of course brass and has a circular adjuster

Sorry to have gone off track but just wondered if anyone knows anything about this modification.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Andy

As Dave has said the 5 airbox plenums were originally black crinkle finish. As far as I know the only alteration from that of a TR6 is the connection at the front which connects to the 'tickover' valve. Early 5's didn't have a tickover valve and so didn't have the connection pipe into the plenum.

My early 5 didn't have the valve and the tickover had to be set by gapping the butterflies to 1 thou apiece. Apparently they wouldn't tickover when new so when mine was 11 years old and with 100,000 miles through its linkeages I didn't have a hope in hell. Later 5's seem to have a 'hybrid' valve fitted with a steel body and hexagonal bolt forming the adjuster. The later 6 version is of course brass and has a circular adjuster

Sorry to have gone off track but just wondered if anyone knows anything about this modification.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris

You are of course correct with your findings but can I point out one small thing.......the later 5's did not have the "hybrid" valve fitted as standard. This was a factory modification with the rubber pipe running to the air filter box rather than the TR6 type which had a much smaller pipe running into the plenum chamber box. The factory were getting many complaints about poor idling due to the 1 or 2 thou gaps for the "butterflies" getting clogged up with gunge so they had these intermediate air valves made up for the dealers to fit if necessary, not factory fitment.

Just my twopenneth

Alan

X755

Hi Everyone

Thanks

Andy

Never understood why they are black as it is not helping to keep the air cool.

Never understood why they are black as it is not helping to keep the air cool.

:huh: Not that colour would really make a detectable difference, but I thought black was best for radiating heat ( like lots of radiators ;) ).

Further to the original post, I recall the TR5 sales brochure showing a silver plenum, sans lettering, on a LHD example, but on close inspection the system was not connected ( control unit vacuum lead I think ) and couldn't have actually run - as if it were rushed to the printer in mock-up form <_<