Brake Calipers - Rebuilding

Does anyone have experience in re-building brake calipers? My calipers have very badly pitted cylinder bores. Is re-sleeving an option? Here in the states a number of brake service firms use brass sleeves, but I understand that stainless steel sleeves with stainless steel cylinders are the best. Can this operation be performed on my calipers?

Thanks in advance. :)

Frank

Guest colinTR2

Frank

When I rebuilt my 2 I had the master cylinder bored and sleeved with brass tube, and it has been fine since. Even used a standard size tube that didn't need boring to size, it was that close. Triumph's supplier must have used a standard size bore when they made them in the 50s.

Colin

Does anyone have experience in re-building brake calipers? My calipers have very badly pitted cylinder bores. Is re-sleeving an option? Here in the states a number of brake service firms use brass sleeves, but I understand that stainless steel sleeves with stainless steel cylinders are the best. Can this operation be performed on my calipers?

Frank

Frank you may be better off with exchange calipers as the cost is sometimes less than rebuilding them.

Stuart.

Frank

Hello Frank

Stuart is bang on the money here, dont waste yours rebuilding, here you can get a pair of re-con caliphers for about £90, it isnt worth sleeving cleanig resealing plating etc etc. I'm sure you

must be able to do the same where you are.