We just started hearing a intermittent rattle vibration in the Generator on our 1959 TR3A and I think it stopped charging the battery. I disconected the battery while it was running and the engine stalls. Does this mean the Generator is bad? Can I rebuild it?

000_0002.jpg

Thanks

Tim

Yes it can be rebuilt.You should have a local shop that can rebuild your generator(we know it more as a dynamo here).Alternatively Moss sell brand new one's at £74.50= $150.I have the very problem on my friends 1954 TR2 and we are going to fit a brand new one as the old one is 54 years old!.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. :rolleyes:

We just started hearing a intermittent rattle vibration in the Generator on our 1959 TR3A and I think it stopped charging the battery. I disconected the battery while it was running and the engine stalls. Does this mean the Generator is bad? Can I rebuild it?

000_0002.jpg

Thanks

Tim

Tim

Off topic

As an aside, NICE GARAGE, NICE CARS ! Lots of room for the toys !! :lol:

Harry, 2nd post of this story, has a nice double too..........I'm in a crowed single :(

Didn't we run a series of 'me and my garage'

Its nice to see how the other half live ;)

Tim

Off topic

As an aside, NICE GARAGE, NICE CARS ! Lots of room for the toys !! :lol:

Harry, 2nd post of this story, has a nice double too..........I'm in a crowed single :(

Didn't we run a series of 'me and my garage'

Its nice to see how the other half live ;)

Thanks Mike and Harry, Shouldn't the car run with out the battery conected? I took the dynamo out last night ant took it apart. the brushes looked like new and full length and very little wear on the shaft. This car only has 43,000 miles on it, so I am wondering if it could be control box? I am going to test the voltages at the control box and see whats going on.

btw its actually a three car garage with just my TRs, my wife and son and I all park are other cars on the drivway. Nothing but the best for the TRs. These TRs have had a hard life and now they are coming back to life.

100_2758.jpg

TR6currentinterior.jpg

100_0065.jpg

Thanks Mike and Harry,

btw its actually a three car garage with just my TRs, my wife and son and I all park are other cars on the drivway. Nothing but the best for the TRs. These TRs have had a hard life and now they are coming back to life.

Reply>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tim

I agree with Harry, get a new one! I had years of grief with them and swore I'd never have another so the 4 has an alternator, better charge and no control box. To be honest it was more often than not the control box rather than the dyno! If you still want the 'look' for that 100 point car look, they now make Alternators that look like Dyno's :lol:

Meanwhile back to the garage, three bays !! Wow, nice to have the room. Mine's for storage only as I have to move her around to work on the side I need ;) As soon as my numbers come up I'm having a triple built :P

Meanwhile..............

Even if the dynamo is not charging, the engine should continue to run as long as there's enough power left in the battery - I remember driving from Stafford to Esher in the dusk some 35 years ago without the dynamo charging.

Likewise, as long as the dynamo is turning sufficiently fast to generate about 11 or 12 volts, the engine should continue to run even with the battery disconnected. However, you would likely need some 1100 rpm to produce that sort of voltage (a guess - it's a long time since I drove a TR with a dynamo!).

Ian Cornish