Direction Indicator (Flashers)

The R/H indicators of my TR5 illuminate at the correct brightness but don't flash although L/H side absolutely fine.

I guess it may be an earthing problem, but before I go checking every connection, just thought I'd ask in case there's something simple wrong (little chance I guess) !!!

Additionally, has anyone experience of replacing the indicator self-cancelling ring on the column. Is this a simple case of removing the wheel and switch shroud or is it more complicated?

The R/H indicators of my TR5 illuminate at the correct brightness but don't flash although L/H side absolutely fine.

I guess it may be an earthing problem, but before I go checking every connection, just thought I'd ask in case there's something simple wrong (little chance I guess) !!!

Additionally, has anyone experience of replacing the indicator self-cancelling ring on the column. Is this a simple case of removing the wheel and switch shroud or is it more complicated?

I had this problem when I rebuilt X755--it was a bulb not earthing properly in the front indicator unit on the front valence...should be a reasonably easy problem to sort. <_<

Let me know what you found

Alan

X755

Hi Robb.

Its a matter of checking the earths and bulbs till you find it!

I made a temp earth wire that would connect to the batt earth and reach all round the car,so that I could touch it on all the light units and find out which one if any was at fault!!

One thing you must check,is that ALL the bulbs are for a car 12v and not a lorry 24v :blink: .

I "borrowed" one from work once! and when it was fitted,it only came on, and didnt flash! not enough power!! Very easy to get them mixed up! Took me ages to suss it out! :blink:

The steering column!

Disconnect lower column from under the bonnet at the rubber coupling,and there should be enough to pull the steering wheel out to reveal the cancel ring!

It maybe that you need to reposition the column and realign the steering wheel,so it cancels correctly! as it only fits in 1 or poss 2 positions with a small nodule on it and a dint in the column for it to locate into!

Dave

Edited by PILKIE
I had this problem when I rebuilt X755--it was a bulb not earthing properly in the front indicator unit on the front valence...should be a reasonably easy problem to sort. <_<

Let me know what you found

Alan

X755

Thanks, now sorted. It was one of the earth returns where the bullet terminals go into the female connector I cleaned them one by one and typically it was the last. Still some work to do as R/H still flashes slower than L/H, but now safe to go out. I may pick up a couple of new connectors.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, problem now resolved. It needed some cleaning up of the bullett cable ends and a couple of new female connectors.

I've also introduced a beeper into the circuit so that there's an audible sound that can be heard above the engine. This is a good reminder to me for those occasions when returning to lane after overtaking and the self- cancel doesn't...cancel. I know it's not authentic TR, but if it saves me from someone mistaking my intentions, then it's worth it.