Putting the body back on the frame

Hello

I am getting close to reuniting the body of my TR4 with the frame. Unfortunately the guy who removed the body didn't take a note of how many spacers there were on the car so I have no idea where to start. What's the best advice of where to start initially?

Also, with the restoration way over budget, I am considering doing the final fitting of the panels myself. Is this a false economy or should I get my bodyman to do it? Roughly how much should I expect him to charge for this?

Thanks for your help.

Myles

Hello

I am getting close to reuniting the body of my TR4 with the frame. Unfortunately the guy who removed the body didn't take a note of how many spacers there were on the car so I have no idea where to start. What's the best advice of where to start initially?

Also, with the restoration way over budget, I am considering doing the final fitting of the panels myself. Is this a false economy or should I get my bodyman to do it? Roughly how much should I expect him to charge for this?

Thanks for your help.

Myles

hello Myles,

i'm in a similar situation too, I've (fairly) recently fixed my 'tub' to chassis, This is the way i did it....... we'll see if its correct later!........After placing the shaped metal spacers and rubber pads at the four main floor mountings, and rubber strips along the top of the chassis rails, I snugged down the fixing bolts a bit at a time. Then added however many metal spacers and rubber wahers as were required to 'fill the gaps' for the remaining bolts. I started at the front engine bay bolts then worked back. The idea is to get it all bolted down without stressing/twisting the body. Dont tighten them all down until all are fitted and aligned OK......... this took me a few days to get right!

My restorer/painter was supposed to reinstall my panels too.......But i have ended up doing it myself a bit at a time as i collect the painted doors and panels. As I understand it, the car is built around the doors, so i took some time to get things squared up here, and hope the wings fit OK when I get them. Don't bolt down the engine bay to tightly yet as it will have to be moved around a bit to get decent bonnet gaps.

best of luck when you tackle it,

john

Hi

Make sure you can get the rear bumper irons through the holes in the valance.

It's easy to "lift" the rear to close gaps at the B-post, but your bumper will be a bad fit!

Also, don't forget the pads will squash-down after a while and need a tweak.

Remember that there's adjustment on the window winder mech to allow doors to be moved and still get a parallel screen/ window gap.

Lots of tiny adjustments seem to be the order of the day!!!

Good luck ;)

Adey