front disc dust shields

i have had brake judder on my car since i bought it 4 years ago.

it had ebc drilled and grooved discs plus green pads.

i have just fitted some as new 2nd hand discs&pads [thanks 88v8]

brakes now spot on.

the old disc were fine on the outside. inside not so good with

2 or 3 pad imprints and corroded holes and grooves.

and as usual the hotter they got the more they juddered

i have ditched the dust shields.i think they were causing the problem

discs getting too hot on inside.

does any one else run there car long term without them.

do they cook the trunnion seal ?

richard.

i have had brake judder on my car since i bought it 4 years ago.

it had ebc drilled and grooved discs plus green pads.

i have just fitted some as new 2nd hand discs&pads [thanks 88v8]

brakes now spot on.

the old disc were fine on the outside. inside not so good with

2 or 3 pad imprints and corroded holes and grooves.

and as usual the hotter they got the more they juddered

i have ditched the dust shields.i think they were causing the problem

discs getting too hot on inside.

does any one else run there car long term without them.

do they cook the trunnion seal ?

richard.

Hi Richard,

My brakes were upgraded 30 000 miles ago with new discs and calipers by Revington, the shields were not put back on.

I havent had a problems without them.

I have also just replaced the trunnion seal, gone to poly, the old one which would of been replaced when brakes were done was fine, and could of easily stayed on.

I do think however its important to keep the trunnions were oiled or greased, depending on which you prefer.

Only my opinion

Cheers

Guy

Richard

I had the same response from one of the speciaists I put my car too last year. They ditched the shields on the grounds that they tend to trap stones and suchlike which then wear the discs. Marginally more cooling too allegedly. They also refurbed my trunnions at the same time so I've no idea as yet if doing the one will impact on the other long term.

Richard

I had the same response from one of the speciaists I put my car too last year. They ditched the shields on the grounds that they tend to trap stones and suchlike which then wear the discs. Marginally more cooling too allegedly. They also refurbed my trunnions at the same time so I've no idea as yet if doing the one will impact on the other long term.

I had mine removed for the same reasons. No problems since. :rolleyes:

Eric

In theory, the shield should reduce the chance of small stones getting into the gap between pad and disc, but if a stone does get in there, it could be more difficult to get it out - normally reversing the car and putting the brakes on should throw a stone out.

My TR2 (converted to discs before I bought it), which covered some 60,000 miles in my hands, never had shields - in fact, I didn't realise that shields were a normal fitment until later! Both my TR4 and Citroen have shields, and I have twice had stones jam in the disc when driving on the Continent in the Citroen. Most disconcerting when you are in the middle of nowhere (we drive on the country roads), but fixed in both cases by reversing the car.

Unless you are really using the brakes really hard, I don't think you would ever notice the difference in performance under normal road conditions in the UK. Not sure about the descent of long Alpine passes - that would be a real test!

Ian Cornish