Cb Radio aerial fitment

Hi Chaps,

Considering fitting a CB unit, to assist in a group trip to France in June, my query is where to fit the aerial or rather how.

I am not drilling a hole in the body, the ones i have seen in the past seem to attach via a bracket in the back of the soft top area, at the time i wasnt paying any attention to how it was fitted.

Any ideas ? or picys

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Guy

My Arial is fitted to one of the bolts that bolt down the hood frame onto the body. All you will need is a short length of flat bar, it bolts onto the hood frame and the other end takes the Arial. By doing it this way, no drilling of the car is required and the Arial is at the highest point of the car.

Mike G

Ah!!

The old CB!

When I were a lad, in '77' I had a 8ft long whip aerial with a magnetic base that was fitted onto the roof of my XJ6,using a bit of body coloured material between it and the body,to stop it scratching !

My handle was WILD CAT :blink: as I was a bit of a nutter in my jag! :P

Ive still got the old FM unit it in the loft!! I wonder if it still works ???

Dave

Edited by PILKIE

Guy you could try making up a clamp bracket to go on the front bar of your boot rack. You can now buy bayonet base fittings so you can remove the whip section of the ariel easily to open the boot. Fitting in the centre gives a better ground plane for good output and reception. PM me if you need any more info as for my sins I used to be a big "CB" fan years ago.

Stuart.

Thanks for the replies,

Given me things to think about, does the bracket have to actualy earth itself to the bodywork, as the boot rack at present is fitted at the top with allen key type bolts, but the lower larger hex bolts are held in place by aquarium silicon into enclosed section in boot. see this thread for explanation http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=12641

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Guy

I installed a cb radio rig for the run to Rimini last year. I made a bracket which I fixed to the luggage rack. I fitted it to the near side front so that I could still use the rack for luggage etc. It all worked very well and as stated earlier provided for a very good ground plane. I was told the earthing was not that important, any way I did not improve the earth but merely relied on the hinge brackets for earth continuity. The aerial could be fixed to the bracket by a bayonet type connection if you prefer so that the aerial could be removed before opening the boot lid. I decided against the bayonet for reasons of security (too nickable). In practice I did not find opening the boot with the aerial fixed presented much of a problem. I then ran the aerial cable via a right angle connector into the hood cover area and on into the tub. If you wish I could forward a photo.

Regards

David

Edited by Red5
Hi Chaps,

Considering fitting a CB unit, to assist in a group trip to France in June, my query is where to fit the aerial or rather how.

I am not drilling a hole in the body, the ones i have seen in the past seem to attach via a bracket in the back of the soft top area, at the time i wasnt paying any attention to how it was fitted.

Any ideas ? or picys

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy,

I was just about to do my own thread but saw yours. I have a CB aerial on my off-roader which has a 4 inch circular magnetic base. The base has a thin plastic gasket to prevent damage to paintwork. This system works very well and saves any drilling, brackets etc.

Hope this helps

Chris