Alloy wheel widths

Hi all

I have read previous threads regarding the fitting of Minilite or replica alloys and will be fitting a set to my newly rebuilt TR4A. It is currently sitting on borrowed 5.5 inch Knock ons which look good, but has anyone fitted 6.0 inch wheels?

If so, are they bolt on or knock on and were there issues with clearance in the wheel arches.

Regards

Lee

Hi Lee, On my TR4 I fitted 5.5J minilite replicas ( bolt on ) with 195 x 65 Pirelli 6000's. We still had to pack out 6mm on the front hubs to get clearance on full lock

So people do fit 6J on TR6's but in my opinion they are too wide for the TR4

:blink:

Hi

I tried minilite replicas on my TR4, with 185/70s on them. Steering became heavy and the car "felt wrong".

It's on AREs now with original width tyres (165/80s) and it is much better in terms of ride quality and predictability. AREs are 5.5J (ish - No wider than 5.5 anyway. The 185s wouldn't go near!)

See if you can "try before you buy", there must be some local members with minilites etc fitted. Any excuse to take a fellow member for a spin!

Cheers

Adey

Arguably 185s might be better on an IRS car than live axle. I have Vredstein 185/70 on my 4A and am very happy with them, steering and grip is good. I have never tried 165 however. I briefly had 195s and in my opinion they are too wide and make the car feel too vague, 185 was a big improvement