Black rear panel

Hi all.

As you know my 6 is currently in the paint shop,its very nearly done, just 2-3 more days left.

The guys asked me about the painting of black rear panel. I think it should be done in satin gloss?? when its painted.

Ive given him this picture,saying the boots lower edge and rear wing area,s need doing as well.

But is the black meant to extend over into the boot lip to blend under the boot seal,or is that area meant to be body colour,??

What is original,I havent found a pic to see!! It probably doesnt really matter,but I would like to keep to originality where and when poss!!! 2nd pic is how it was when I got it.

It's black bits, "rear panel,sills,screen frame,are due to be painted tomorrow afternoon!!

Just found an old brochure with a 'G' reg Damson on the cover,doesnt show the boot,but does show the screen surround in body colour!!!

When was this changed to black??

Should I do mine damson????

Thanks in advance of quick replies :D:D

Dave

Edited by PILKIE

Hi Scotty.

MMMMMMMM NICE!!!!!!

Bet your really glad you didnt sell!!!!

I cant wait to get mine back for re-fitting :P

Does your black extend into the boot?? or is it just like mine in the 2nd photo??

Dave

Dave

I don't know about how they were when they originally came out of the factory, but I have just had mine done and it was done in Satin black as recommended by a number of people.

The area that I had done in black was the back area above the bottom line (behind the bumper I think), under the boot lip (but not the small back edge - just underneath that) and the back areas of the rear wings (inside the line). I also had it painted black just inside the boot up to the lip where the seal goes to, and up to the seam between the back panel and the inner wing.

I hope this all makes sense.

I have attached an image of the back showing where I masked it off - I can try to get some photos of the areas tomorrow if you want.

Like I said I don't know if this is how it should be - it just seemed the right place for me.

Pogo

http://cp54542.co.uk/

Dave , I painted mine myself as a first attempt so do know if its "as factory" and couldnt really care but as Pogo says I painted the top lip of the rear panel up to where the boot lid seal goes and used the 45 degree ange where the raer panel joins the inner wings as the paint line . I also painted the underside of the boot lid lip . I can photo tomorrow if you want .

Yes glad I didnt sell , sold the XJS and bought another 6 (the blue car next to my red one above).

Scotty’s looks pretty accurate as far as originality goes with the boot shut but pogo’s gone a little too far into the back panels with the body colour (sorry!). I also used satin black. As far as where does the black end, I took accurate details of how this whole area was painted on my original car before resto. The black should go inside the boot lip, both on the boot lid & rear valance where the seal is & should end where the valance meets the inner side wings. Rather than trying to explain, I can E you some pics. if you want but I will need your personal E address as the forum personal message facility won’t allow attachments.

Thanks Richard

The photo's would be good. My E address is on a link at the bottom of my listing.

Pogo's only gone a little too far!! It must only be a little bit as its hard to see the difference?

Dave

Edited by PILKIE

Excellent Photo's Richard thanks.

I have printed off and will give them to my painter today.

Mine actually only differed in that it had not been painted into the boot lower lip in '85'! .I though that it was meant to,it just didnt look right not to!

The final bits of painting,ie "the vent flap,hinges and the black bits",and the buffing are being done today. I hope I get an easy day at work,so I can keep popping in to see ot progress and do some more photo's.

BIG CHEERS DAVE :P

Excellent Photo's Richard thanks.

I have printed off and will give them to my painter today.

Mine actually only differed in that it had not been painted into the boot lower lip in '85'! .I though that it was meant to,it just didnt look right not to!

The final bits of painting,ie "the vent flap,hinges and the black bits",and the buffing are being done today. I hope I get an easy day at work,so I can keep popping in to see ot progress and do some more photo's.

BIG CHEERS DAVE :P

You must be getting excited now! I know I was. It was like waiting for Christmas as a kid.

Good luck with the refit.

Pogo

I AM LIKE A LITTLE KID WAITING FOR SANTA TO COME :P:lol:

The strip down/out, only took a busy weekend.

But its going to be taken very carefully putting it all back together again!! :blink:

The list ive done isnt that bad really,ie;= clean and paint chassis and under arches,eng bay wiring,lights,seats, carpets, other cockpit trim, eng/box, hood & frame,refit door furniture.

Any bits not yet refurbed will be done.

The Stoneleigh resto show is coming up on 28 oct, and Shepton Mallet on nov 3/4,so I will make a list of any bits needed to finish the job,and hope to get it all there.

My target completion date is Xmas.

A nice prezzy for having a **** year!!

I will be at Malvern '08'. and may enter it into a group!

Dave

Edited by PILKIE
'69 cars had a few minor detail differences iirc : body colour screen surround and stainless beads down the rear wing gaps. Had mine done in satin black a couple of years ago, much like pogo's

Thanks for that.I think I will leave mine black,as it breaks up the lines a bit,The same as doing the sills black.

Got 10 more weekends before Xmas,and a few odd hours in the week that will hopefully see it done.

Got my list of parts I want from the resto shows,stainless nuts,bolts and screws,and the underbonnet shield,AND! if I can pick up a really good front and rear bumper as well that would be perfik.

I would like to attend a New Years day show/gathering in it if poss?? XXXXX my fingers it will be done!!

Anybody suggest a good meet to go to???

• 7 months later...

Hi all!

I was just wondering - did all TR6's have black rear panels? I just bought a car that's been repainted and the rear panel is in the body colour. It's a US '69-er. I think I remember reading somewhere that rear panels were not always black, but I'm not sure.

And can anyone recommend a good book on stuff like this?

Thx!

------ EDIT:

Pim

Sorry, didn't read through all threads yet on my search for this subject. I found a thread covering this discussion:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....;hl=colour+rear

Edited by Pim