Rubber feet for original bootrack

Mine were fairly perished when I had the bootrack rechromed many years ago but in any case I can't find them now. Whilst it is possible to adapt the rubber feet intended for modern bootracks and dog/cargo guards, I would like to get a pair of the correct type sometime.

Meanwhile I have just bought a bootbag which is quick and easy to fit and is fine for short trips such as a weekend break, although a proper bootrack may be better for longer holidays/camping trips, etc.

Brian - Would you be good enough to give us a report of your new bootbag. How you attached it, how long it stayed on, rear visibility, etc.

Attaching the bag takes only a few minutes and is basically as described on the 'Installation' page of the Bootbag website. We only had the bag half-full, so visibilty was not impaired. I have a rubber sucker rear view mirror at the top of the screen so this probably helped - not sure whether it would be as good with the standard mirror (still haven't got one yet). The sloping bootlid on the sidescreen cars helps keep it low, so even if the bag were full (it is big), it would be considerably better than an equivalent suitcase on a conventional bootrack, since it sits flat on the lid. It is also easy to open and close the boot with the bag fitted. Although we only had the bag on for the 160 mile round-trip between home and hotel, there were no problems, slippage or scratches and I would happily use it for longer trips in preference to the standard bootrack.

I have also trial fitted it to Lynda's TR4A but haven't driven the car with it.

Brian - Are the straps stitched to the bag ? Which lengths did you use and how did you attach the straps ? How many did you use ? Are the bottom ends of the straps secured to the boot lid ? If so, how does it prevent getting these spots scratched ? Or did you secure them elsewhere ?

Brian - Are the straps stitched to the bag ? Which lengths did you use and how did you attach the straps ? How many did you use ? Are the bottom ends of the straps secured to the boot lid ? If so, how does it prevent getting these spots scratched ? Or did you secure them elsewhere ?

Straps are separate but the 4 loops they fit into are stitched to the top of the bag. I used a 1.8m strap front-rear across the centre (next to boot handle) and a 3.0m across the lid (the 2.8m one supplied would have been OK but I actually got a couple of 3.0m straps because I misunderstood the original instructions :mellow: ). The bottom of the bag is smooth and sits on a loose rubbery/plastic anti-slip mat (as used in luggage compartments) which is quite soft and safe on paintwork.

I should also add that it was extremely wet on the drive up, but the bag remained watertight (and so did the car - more or less :rolleyes:).

Thank you Brian for the info. You have almost convinced me to buy one.

If you wait until TR International 2008, you can try mine :P

Seriously, I only discovered the bootbag by accident whilst searching for the rubber feet and took a chance as we needed a quick solution. It turned out well and I suspect we would probably use the bag in preference to normal luggage, even on a bootrack if heavily loaded as it does seem to be weatherproof.

BTW: On your recommendation, I bought the excellent sidescreen bag, hood bag and toolbag from Ken Nachman (although I fell foul of HM Revenue & Customs over a paperwork error and am still awaiting refund of most of the import duty :blink: )

Back to the plot - does anyone have any info on the rubber feet?

Edited by BrianC

Hi all,

Be careful with a heavily loaded luggage rack when you lift the boot, as the side mounted stay rod is inadequate.

With a suitcase full of clothes on the rack, when up, the boot lid can twist badly. I have heard of the left side hinge snapping, with disaster to paintwork when the boot lid fell, and then broke the other hinge. Repro hinges seem to be just as brittle as the originals.

Some owners use the "TR auxillary petrol guage" in the form of a length of dowell as a central boot stay, but it is easily dislodged, so a better option needs to be considered.

Cheers,

Viv.

Good point Viv.

On the subject of boot/bonnet hinges, I assume the current ones are mazak-based (or something equally useless)? I have a hazy recollection that Cox & Buckles (or their subsequent incarnation, Moss) either had, or were going to have a batch of chrome-on-brass hinges made up (this is long, long ago). Does anyone know whether this happened (or whether it would be a viable project for the NSF)?

From the response so far, it looks as though bootrack feet could be another possible NSF project :(

Edited by BrianC
  • 2 months later...

Just in case anyone is still reading this thread, please be aware that the pack of rubber feet (BRS4) sold by Moss do not fit the original TR3A bootrack.

The original rack tubing for the two rear supports is 1/2", whereas the four feet supplied are for 5/8" tubing.

Fortunately, I have now found my old rubber feet and, although they are not pretty, I can at least use these if I ever need to fit the boot rack (unless anyone knows of a source for the correct type).

Hi Brian.

I bought a NOS set of 4 last year for my TR6's rack from Ebay, that originally came from a Spitfire dealer,they have a small tubular insert/spacer of black plastic/rubber,so that you could fit either size rack into them!!

Maybe you can find some suitable black pipe,even rubber hose! and make some inserts to take up the slack??

Wont stand out as much as your original ugly feet!!

Dave

Edited by PILKIE

Great minds think alike Dave! I did actually try this with another set, but they didn't look right as the profile of the modern feet is completely different from the originals. My old ones were originally white and in usable condition, although perished on the top surface. I sprayed them matt black so they have a wrinkled finish similar to the instrument panel and look acceptable as my car is neither concours nor completely standard.

Somebody mentioned to me about using caravan awning feet! as they come in black,grey and white!

All depends on how close you want to get to the original look.

As long as it does the job you want it to!!

Keep searching the autojumbles! Theres a set out there somewhere??