SORN - how much is the fine?

The truth is I forgot! I never intended to take the TR6 off the road but after using it to drive to my wedding I parked it in the garage and went on honeymoon. First baby arrived, followed by another and then an extension (to the house!) and another baby. New job followed by redundancy followed by another new job and hay presto the TR6 has been off the road for 7 years and I never did the SORN paperwork :-(

The car is too special to sit in my garage - being the last red one Triumph made - so I need to get it legal again and decide what to do with it.

I spoke to the DLVA today and they said I need to declare I missed doing the SORN paperwork and put myself at the mercy of the local office for them to decide the size of the fine. Has anyone got an idea of what I may be fined for being 6 & 1/2 years late doing a SORN declaration? I hassen to add the car has been garaged all this time and not on the public highway.

Following that look out for the car in the classified - being a semi-special one if I sell it I'll only let it go to an enthusiast

I don't think SORN applies to vehicles taken off the road prior to 2004 so tell the DVLA to shove it!

Exactly!!

Stuart.

No need to inform them as the rule came in on 1/1/04, see rules so it will only affect any cars that were taxed at that point,and were not going to be re taxed ie laid up!!.

As soon as you put your TR back on the road and tax it,you will then be liable to declare SORN when you want to lay it up,It will automatically come through on your next tax reminder,and annually after that.You can even do it online!!

They cant fine you,if they do threaten you with a fine,then politely tell them to shove it :P

Edited by PILKIE
No need to inform them as the rule came in on 1/1/04, see rules so it will only affect any cars that were taxed at that point,and were not going to be re taxed ie laid up!!.

As soon as you put your TR back on the road and tax it,you will then be liable to declare SORN when you want to lay it up,It will automatically come through on your next tax reminder,and annually after that.You can even do it online!!

They cant fine you,if they do threaten you with a fine,then politely tell them to shove it :P

Pilkie - thanks - I never knew the forum was quite so "alive" I expected to be tomorrow before I got informed replys

Hi

i was told no need to sort out teh TR5 as it is exempt however anything with the reminder form needs to be declared as SORN

i broke my arm playing footy twice last year (should know better at my age) the first time the car was taxed and sat in the garage.

the second twice in sept , the tax ran out at the end of sept, so i thought its going no where disconnect the battery and get it taxed when the arms better, which would be around Xmas

just before Xmas in comes the fine £40 if paid within the time or 60-80 cant remember if after that plus the back tax from sept to the Xmas.

eh, what, bollocks, off when the letter of appeal, with no joy, off went another letter (my arm was better and the car taxed by now) sighting the article in the times of the 27th Jan 07 where it stated about people not registering the vehicles, or giving false addresses so the fines cannot reach them, they also dont insure or MOT them, from memory there were about a million of these vehicles on the road.

Obviously i have never not paid tax etc and the only reason was ignorance and a broken arm

they let me off with the back tax but had to pay the fine as they said the TV ads etc i should have known,

so hands up i guess i should have read the reminder properly

paid the fine by telephone with a credit card easy.

the £40 was about the tax for being off the road anyway

regards

david