Door glass channel

Had a small problem a week ago with the driver's window - wound it down, the regulator went down but glass stayed up! During my restoration, I cut away some of the corroded metal of the window glass channel (the part which holds the glass in a rubber strip) obviously not enough of the channel left to clamp the glass. Have bought a good secondhand channel from the TR Shop, does anyone know if the rubber strip should be glued into the channel and the glass to the rubber strip or should it all be assembled 'dry' and just rely on friction and the clamping effect of the metal channel?

Many thanks

Bill

Bill

From my experience, friction, and it takes a big mallet and some solid thumps to get the glass seated. Getting an old glass out is enen more fun!!

Regards

Tim

i have done my TR5 windows and agree with tims it will require some force to push the window and rubber in the channel.

TIM i wonder if you could have warmed the old rubber up to help get it out when you did it?perhaps a hair dryer or gentle blow torch

You could always 'wind them on' with the sash cramps used to replace core plugs at the back of a cylinderhead!

I would rather do this than whack the glass with a hammer and block of wood...sounds to me like a recipe for a broken window.

Good luck

David

No & I wouldn't do that either. You don't knock the glass into the glazing channel, you support the top edge of the glass & knock the channel onto bottom! Glass is also a lot stronger & more flexible than most people think; what it really doesn't like is concentrated stress points, that's why those nifty little pointed hammers with instructions to hit the corner of the window are hung behind glass panes on every tube train.