Carburettor Spindle Wear

I have HS carbs on my TR3, i.e. they are TR4 carbs.

The idle and initial pick up of the engine are very poor. I beleive this is due to the loose spindle in the casting, it moves about 3/4 mm.

Can you change the bushes and spindles yourself or do the bushes need reaming out, if so who can do just this bit and be relied on to do a proper job.

What do you think / know ?

John

I have HS carbs on my TR3, i.e. they are TR4 carbs.

The idle and initial pick up of the engine are very poor. I beleive this is due to the loose spindle in the casting, it moves about 3/4 mm.

Can you change the bushes and spindles yourself or do the bushes need reaming out, if so who can do just this bit and be relied on to do a proper job.

What do you think / know ?

John

John you can do the re bush yourself although they do need careful reaming or Burlen fuel systems 01722412500 will do the job for you.

Stuart.

On the H4 carbs on TS952 the spindles had heck of a lot of play, on examination almost 100% of the wear was on the spindles themselves not within the body. I replaced just the spindles with standard size ones and virtually all the play vanished. Might just be worth pulling a carb apart to have a look at a spindle first. No magic with SU carbs, they are great to work on.

Nigel (with TS952)

Nigel, this is the conclusion I am coming to having spoken to a few people.

The wear is probably on the spindles as they are brass and the harder material is the steel bush insert in the casting.

I will do as you suggest i.e. wait until the salt on the roads and then pull them to peices and order the bits from Burlen. The bits will probably be just the butterfly screws and the spindles.

Andrew Turner would do a full rebuild only which although attractive as they would be a thorough job is a bit excessive for me as I have already got the fresh needles and jets to put in.

Thanks for the advice,

John

Hello John

As an addition, I also replaced the jets & needles as I just couldn't get the mixture right on the originals. Until I got the replacements I had no idea how much 'material' petrol could erode from brass over the years. The replacements cured the mixture problem completely.

Best of luck.

Nigel (with TS952)