Just about to fit new wiring harness after a RHD conversion to my TR250. Can anyone offer info or photos on how the (TR5) loom is run?

thanks

John

John the loom runs basically the same as it did before conversion with the exception of the part of the loom for the speedo/ rev counter /for the wiper and washer switches/ indicators / reversing lights and dipswitch that run along the firewall behind the heater to the right side of the dash. If you have overdrive fitted then you will need a new loom for the switch to run over there as well. If you lay the loom out on the bench first and identify the wires it soon becomes apparent where everything will lay in the car. Be careful how you get the dipswitch wires running as they can be a bit critical in length and you may end up with a bit of a washing line effect. You may need to order about a dozen or so capless bulbs as well as the last new loom I fitted had those type of bulb holders instead of original type. If you need any more info you can always ring the workshop on 01726 882680.

Stuart.

place bulb holders behind clocks and there should be metal clips welded onto the car insulated with a sleeve which will lead the wrg harness to the LHS of the car (as you sit in it) over the heater and glove compartment and through the bulkhead rubber gromet above the pasengers feet.

as tou pull it through the remaining wires go along side the sill behind the rear quarter panel trim and into the boot area where some cross over for the fuel sender unit and rhs rear lights and the rest to the lhs rear lights.

i have pictures in my service books but can not load them on this computer.

i found it fairly easy and the colours matched up which was a lot more than i expected

have fun and good luck

i put a wiring harness in my TR5 after converting a tr250 shell to rhd

Many thanks Gents, I was wondering if the main harness ran down the opposite (drivers) side, as the manual diagrams that I have, state that they are

'left hand steer shown, right hand steer similar' ?! :blink: whatever that means....

As a matter of interest I have the TR5 workshop manual supplement to the TR4 (1st edition) and that shows photos and diagrams underbonnet etc, of a LHD car...I thought they did not go to USA so European I suppose?

I also received (in double quick time from the US Gulf) a redrawn wiring diagram from Ian Howard...thanks to all

John

Many thanks Gents, I was wondering if the main harness ran down the opposite (drivers) side, as the manual diagrams that I have, state that they are

'left hand steer shown, right hand steer similar' ?! :blink: whatever that means....

As a matter of interest I have the TR5 workshop manual supplement to the TR4 (1st edition) and that shows photos and diagrams underbonnet etc, of a LHD car...I thought they did not go to USA so European I suppose?

I also received (in double quick time from the US Gulf) a redrawn wiring diagram from Ian Howard...thanks to all

John

John the loom runs down the left hand side sill on both L&R steer cars.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again.... I've fitted the loom OK (I think) using the rheostat dimmer wiring as the centre of the car.....this leaves a pair of spade connectors dangling in the LH passenger footwell, green + some colour I can't remember(it's dark out there!) ...(Its a RHD TR5 loom)...do they connect to something useful or should they go through the grommet into the engine bay?

ALSO.....any photos please of the inner wings/bulkhead of a clean TR5 to show what bits hang on where?.....as i said it's been a long time and it was originally LHD. :blink:

John

Thanks again.... I've fitted the loom OK (I think) using the rheostat dimmer wiring as the centre of the car.....this leaves a pair of spade connectors dangling in the LH passenger footwell, green + some colour I can't remember(it's dark out there!) ...(Its a RHD TR5 loom)...do they connect to something useful or should they go through the grommet into the engine bay?

ALSO.....any photos please of the inner wings/bulkhead of a clean TR5 to show what bits hang on where?.....as i said it's been a long time and it was originally LHD. :blink:

John

Sounds like the two wires that connect up to the flasher unit thats located in the passenger footwell.

Alan

I dont know if these pictures will help they are of a right hand drive 250.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
Sounds like the two wires that connect up to the flasher unit thats located in the passenger footwell.

Alan

Thanks Alan,...If I had looked a bit further into my TR5 supplement manual I would have found a photo of the flasher installation.

Thanks for the snaps Stuart ( a bit too small to see all the detail but I get the idea...it will probably become clear as I connect the various bits.)

as you wrote earlier.....the dipswitch wiring seems to be too short (if the loom is fitted to the top clips behind the dash)...it looks as though they will have to be extended.

anyone fitted a relay conversion for the lighting? worth doing yes/no?

John

anyone fitted a relay conversion for the lighting? worth doing yes/no?

Are you intending to use higher than standard power bulbs? if you are, a definite yes, but worth doing anyway as it reduces to milliamps the current loading on the switch and the arcing that kills switches, same as with the fuel pump, it also ensures that you get full voltage to the bulbs rather than slightly reduced due to high resistance which will also cause the wiring heating up.