Rear Suspension Telescopic Conversion

Hi All,

I am seriously thinking about the Rear suspension upgrade to telescopic dampers. My questions are :

1. Is this conversion the 'salvation' that it is marketed to be ?

2. What type bracket would be best for fast road aplication, type 1 or 2

3. What springs and shocks are the best - Spax, Kioni , Gaz ?

4. How easy is the conversion to do ?

5. Anybody know of anyone that has a full set and instructions for sale

As always all comments / suggestions and advice gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

I believe the general consensus is that the best systems are entirely chassis mounted, preferably at three points - the original lever arm mounts and an extra one on the lower bump stop - available from CTM. Anything attached to the body is to be avoided. There is also the revington kit which puts the damper inside the coil spring which is highly regarded by many, although this does require a small amount of welding to strengthen the spring/diff bridge.

My car came with tele dampers already fitted and I have no experience of the lever arm type so cannot tell you what difference they make. When funds allow I will probably change to the revington kit as the design makes sense to me.

Konis are supposed to be v.high quality, Spax have the advantage of being adjustable on the car - so good for track days etc. Don't know anything about Gaz.

there are many previous threads on the forum on this subject, so worth a search. Hope it helps

Dave

Hi ,

Revington Tr fitted their rear suspension system to my six together with there front shocks some ten years ago. Never had any problems with it. The Ride is very firm, but sticks to the road and handles excellently.

The car originaly had a system that was attached to the body by the previous owner.

I have recently seen and been in a six with lever arm dampers and there is absolutely no comparison

Regards

Guy

Jeremy

As Guy says in the above post, there is not much comparison between the two - I changed to Konis, setting them at the 'mid-point' with the brackets offered by TR Shop (together with Konis at the front). However, it may be that the lever arms were a little on the 'tired' side?

The difference was immediately noticable (for the better!). Whether there could be any improvement by fine tuning from where they are now I am unsure - I am quite happy with the set up as they are...

Best regards

Jeremy

I've got Spax all round with slightly uprated standard length springs and poly bushes, the front Spax are set about medium and the rear ones at soft, the car holds the road very well for a 30+ year old, a bit harsh on poor surfaces though.

There is not much point in fitting a rear conversion without paying attention to the rest, ie it's not a miracle cure if the rest of the suspension is worn.

The standard lever arms work well if they are in good condition, many are well past their sell by date now and have been reconditioned several times, so make sure you are comparing like for like!

Spax are easier to adjust on the car than Konis but there have been a few complaints on here about Spax being short lived, I've had mine for 5 years without problems [touch wood]

Ron

Edited by ron
Jeremy

As Guy says in the above post, there is not much comparison between the two - I changed to Konis, setting them at the 'mid-point' with the brackets offered by TR Shop (together with Konis at the front). However, it may be that the lever arms were a little on the 'tired' side?

The difference was immediately noticable (for the better!). Whether there could be any improvement by fine tuning from where they are now I am unsure - I am quite happy with the set up as they are...

Best regards

Can you tell me what parts you ordered at CTm to make it a complete conversion?