Hello All,

I was busy setting up the static timing on my 1960 TR3A engine a few evenings ago. The engine is rebuilt but not run yet. The timing mark on the crank pulley does not line up with the pointer on the timing chain cover when number 1 piston is at TDC. It appears to be about '20 minutes' out of sync ? How can this be? The pulley is correctly fitted over the key way on the crank. The crank is a replacement / reground item. Could it be the pulley is from an earlier car? or that the new crank does not match the exsisting pulley?

Any answers much appreciated.

/neale.

Hi Neale

The pulley is bolted to the central part with the keyway by six bolts. Yours must have been assembled two bolts out of the correct position.

I have just looked at a spare pulley assembly I have and the timing hole is directly opposite ( 180 degrees ) from the keyway.

Also looked at a spare crankshaft and the keyway is directly opposite ( 180 degrees ) from the number one big-end journal.

Hope this helps

Les

Edited by Les
It appears to be about '20 minutes' out of sync ? How can this be?

"20 minutes" is one third of 1° (I think).

Or do you mean 20° ?

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

thanks for the help with my timing mark enquiry.... I was starting to jump to some strange conclusions.

/neale.

Hi Neale

The pulley is bolted to the central part with the keyway by six bolts. Yours must have been assembled two bolts out of the correct position.

I have just looked at a spare pulley assembly I have and the timing hole is directly opposite ( 180 degrees ) from the keyway.

Also looked at a spare crankshaft and the keyway is directly opposite ( 180 degrees ) from the number one big-end journal.

Hope this helps

Les

I have assumed that Neale means that the timing hole is 20 minutes out as if looking at the face of an analogue clock, for those of us that remember them.

Six bolts so the difference between each bolt would be 10 minutes, or is this lateral thinking?

Les