TR3a Inner Body Shell suppport

I am doing a body off rebuild of my TR3a. I have just about finished cutting out all the damaged metal in the inner bodyshell and replacing it with sound metal and am about to take the inner body shell off the chassis so that I can turn it over and start to strip off the old underseal and other crud.

Does anyone have any suggestions for support frames? I am not talking about supporting the door apertures, I have made up a couple of bracing frames for that using RHS tubing, I am looking for ideas for an external frame that I can bolt to the shell to prevent damage to the edges of the bodyshell on the surface it is resting on, e.g. when it is upside down. A photograph would be really helpful.

Rgds Ian

Hello Ian,

in addition to Don's reply: I used nothing at all (except for braces the door apertures, once the floors/ sills were replaced).

The body is strong enough to hold its own weight - separated into front/ rear part and assembled with floors.

What i did was:

1) mounted the wooden strengthening piece under the scuttle (the part, the dashboard is mounted to). It gives suitable strenth to the front scuttle

2) use pieces of cardboard (and maybe a blanket) between ground and the side of the body, to prevent damage to the freshly prepared bodywork when rolling it upside down.

3) use pieces similar materials between floor and scuttles to protect the freshly prepared bodywork while working on the underside.

4) I used to turn it upside down single handed. I could even push the body around in the workshop while beeing on the side or upside down.

5) You need 4 hands only when lifting the body off the frame (and back onto it)

Hello Don

I strung my TR3A body up to the ceiling in my garage to paint the underneath of the body, why did I not think of turning it over!

What a thicko I am, it reminds me of the old saying "At an airport near you the pigs are lining up for take off"

regards

Peter.