Trunnion touches brake disc on full lock

During the recent MOT on my TR4 (CT39989), the tester pointed out that on full lock the rear end of the front suspension trunnion assembly actually touches the inner face of the brake disc through the cut-out in the brake backplate. This happens on both sides and there are witness marks on the washers (134320) which sit under the castellated nuts (NL607041) at the rear end of each trunnion. The suspension & steering otherwise appear to be ok and he wasn’t unduly concerned (it passed ok!).

However, I assume that this isn’t supposed to be the case although I can’t see any obvious cause or remedy. Has anyone else experienced the same problem and/or have any advice on how to stop this happening?

Thanks

Mike

Mike

Have you got the lock stops that bol onto the top of the trunnion - 7/16th headed nut, but under is an eccentric 'fat washer / spacer' plus a spring washer ...... judicious positioning of these usually stops the problem you have as the travel of the suspension is halted by the straight edge on the kingpin connecting with this part.

Have a look at the manual - but if its this its an easy fix.

Regards

Tony

Tony,

I hadn’t realised there were adjustable stops and, having studied the manual, I’ve spent part of this afternoon lying on the garage floor adjusting these! With the stops on ‘max’, it’s now definitely better than it was, although there’s still very little clearance between the edge of the trunnion and the brake disc at full lock. However, as there’s a cut-out in the dust shield at this point, then I guess it was designed to be this way.

Thanks for the advice – much appreciated.

Regards

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

If the eccentrically-shaped stop fails to prevent interference, you may need a slightly larger stop. Have a look at Revington's site, as (in the Nesletter which I have just received this week) he is now making and selling just such items! Usually, it's the people with oversize (wider) tyres or with wheels with a greater internal offset who need them , to prevent the tyre hitting the inner wing.

Ian Cornish