Revington Throttle assembly

Hi all,

I have a Revington overhead throttle assembly fitted. I have two cables on the choke one goes to the Metering unit and the other the throttle assembly.

I think many people do not bother with the second cable.

You can see in the photo that mine is attached, i would like to connect it up correctly however when i adjust the screw on to the cam it does not return. The springs are all ok. I think that it metel to metal contact thats preventing it from returning.

Surely there should be a nylon nut on the end or something ?

DSC00787.jpg

Any help appreciated as always

Regards Guy

Hi Guy

These are the instructions on the Revington sheet for adjusting the choke setting.

" Slide the 40mm length of heat shrink sleeeving over the choke cable. Assemble the choke cable ferrule to the centre support and lock off the two 1/4" UNF nuts. Slide the cable through the ferrule and secure the inner cable to the choke cam with the original cable trunnion. Push the heat shrink sleeving partly over the ferrule leaving 20mm over the choke cable and shrink down the sleeve using a hot air gun. With a warm engine, disable the excess fuel lever on the metering unit by undoing the choke cable retaining clip. Operate the choke cable from inside the cabin to its full extent, then adjust the choke cam follower screw to achieve 2200 rpm. Tighten the lock nut, turn off the engine, reconnect choke cable clip. Refit airbox and adjust tick over with air bleed valve. "

From your picture, it looks like there's something up with the heat shrink fitting on the adjuster for the choke cam. I seem to recall having a similar problem on mine and refitting that heat shrink piece made the cable operate correctly.

Hope that helps.

Hi Guy

From your picture, it looks like there's something up with the heat shrink fitting on the adjuster for the choke cam. I seem to recall having a similar problem on mine and refitting that heat shrink piece made the cable operate correctly.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Bob,

Found a picture in How to improve Triumph Tr5,250,6 By Roger Williams.

And it shows the heat shrink.

So am sure you are correct, i dont ever recall there being any heat shrink on it ever.

Will get some and follow the instuctions.

Cheers :rolleyes:

Guy

Hi Guy,

I know you said

...The springs are all ok...
but I can't see one on the choke cam. May be just the photo of course. I don't have a Revington linkage, but my CP one does have a return spring on both throttle and choke.

Cheers,

John

Hi Guy,

I know you saidbut I can't see one on the choke cam. May be just the photo of course. I don't have a Revington linkage, but my CP one does have a return spring on both throttle and choke.

Cheers,

John

John there is one on the choke cam, its the round type as opposed to long spiral . It is between the cam and the main body of the linkage, actually on the bolt that secures the cam.

Hope that makes sense.

Guy

Hi Guy, Maplin Electronics keep a good variety of Heat Shrink, in a number of sizes with and without self adhesive glue.

Thanks for the info John, will try and find some locally (that should be a laugh). If not i know where to go.

Cheers

Guy

Hi everyone.

You just beat me to it Guy because I was about to invite comment on this issue myself. I'm one of those with just the metering unit connected and, in the interests of completeness, I've been toying with the idea of connecting up the other cable for which I have the necessary bits and pieces.

However, the car starts beautifully (on about one third choke), runs well and the plugs are an excellent shade of chocalate brown. Basically, I'm asking myself why do I really need to complicate matters :huh:

As always your learned thoughts would be appreciated.

Rog

An alternative method to heat shrink using a couple of cable ties - not pretty, but does the job

Nice one Badshead,

Give that a go if cant find heat shrink.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

If I'm right the cable is following a curve that's above bonnet hight when closed. This means that when closing the bonnet the cable is folded sidewards and this prevents the inner part to move freely. So infact a solution has to be found to fit the cable in a way that it stays free of the bonnet :(

Hi

Just to update.

Due to bank holiday i have secured cable with the badshead method. Set it all up as Bobs Notes.

Just started up from cold, no problems, seems to me its better than not having this cable connected. Car started fine, always does though, pushed choke in half way, no spluttering and of we go.

Jean i had shorted the cable slightly so it does not make such a loop over engine, the bonnet pushes it a little but not a problem, so far.

Sorted

Regards

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

I have exactly the same setup - your original picture could have been of my car! I fretted about it not working last week (having not noticed for the last three years). I then decided as I a. hadn't noticed for three years and b. the car starts fine and the choke is out for about 2 minutes max, that I would not worry about it any more! In fact, I am more concerned that making it work might have the opposite effect and stop the car running so smoothly on the choke!

Michael.

I have exactly the same setup - your original picture could have been of my car! I fretted about it not working last week (having not noticed for the last three years). I then decided as I a. hadn't noticed for three years and b. the car starts fine and the choke is out for about 2 minutes max, that I would not worry about it any more! In fact, I am more concerned that making it work might have the opposite effect and stop the car running so smoothly on the choke!

Michael.

Michael

I like you had not noticed in the entire time i have owned the car(knew the cable was there and not coonected), and i had the assembly put on the car by a local garage some ten years ago. :blink:

Rigged it up to see what difference it makes, knowing that if i dont get on with it i can easily revert it back.

Have only started up the car from cold a couple of times since and seems fine, much cleaner on start up. Time will tell.

Regards

Guy

Guy,

As an aside - do you know if this setup still uses the standard throttle cable? I carry an old Dolomite one as an emergency spare (as i happened to have one) but have no idea if it will actually fit! I ought to get the right one really as it's bound to be the thing that lets me down one day!

Michael.

Guy,

As an aside - do you know if this setup still uses the standard throttle cable? I carry an old Dolomite one as an emergency spare (as i happened to have one) but have no idea if it will actually fit! I ought to get the right one really as it's bound to be the thing that lets me down one day!

Michael.

Michael ,

As far as i know its the original cable, would be quite easy to measure the one have and compare to your dolomite one.

I dont carry a spare but think its a good idea, think i will get one.

I have had the throttle stick on me once, was accelerating down and approaching a bad T junction, lfted off accelerator , nothing, still going, stuck on the brakes hard, came to a stand still yards from a granite wall head on. :unsure::unsure:

A very hairy scarry experience i can tell you, so moral is check you cable is in good nick. :blink:

Regards

Guy