Replacement Boot Seal Repair Section / Wheel Arch

The boot seal sections on my TR3 are in a very poor state. I appreciate that these appear to be quite simple to fabricate, but are these sections available to purchase off the shelve?

Also .... I need to replace a section of my rear wheel-arch (the bit where it joins the boot floor - if it was there of course & sweeps round as can be seen in the photo). Are these available or do I have to fabricate one of these too? I've looked in all the catalogues, but repair sections are not listed.

Many thanks.

TR3bootseal.JPG

The boot seal sections on my TR3 are in a very poor state. I appreciate that these appear to be quite simple to fabricate, but are these sections available to purchase off the shelve?

Also .... I need to replace a section of my rear wheel-arch (the bit where it joins the boot floor - if it was there of course & sweeps round as can be seen in the photo). Are these available or do I have to fabricate one of these too? I've looked in all the catalogues, but repair sections are not listed.

Many thanks.

TR3bootseal.JPG

Devs North Devon Metalcraft do the boot seal piece and i think they do a complete arch, I know its a pain to have to cut up a complete panel just to repair a section but sometimes its the only way short of making a section yourself. You will have to do a bit of fettling to get those sections to fit but i have done that same repair quite a few times and its a lot easier to do than a Michelotti car!!PM me if you need any more information.

Stuart.

I was checking the North Devon site our prior to posting but couldn't locate the piece, but I'll give them a tinkle and see what they have. I have also considered the full wheel arch section which I may eventually have to go for. I have a rolling machine, but the curve of the arch looks too tricky for me! I'll try and locate a fabricator before I bite the bullet and throw some cash in the air!

Many thanks for the pointer Stuart, much appreciated.

Devs,

I did the repair of the inner wheel arch on my TR2 by using some stiff paper taped to the remainder of the arch then you can use this to make a pattern for the patch. It is not too difficult to make the curve. I did mine by bending the metal round a large diameter metal pipe then finished off with hammer and dolly. Its not perfect but at least things should stay inside the boot when the car is finished. If you have a wheeling machine (rolling machine ?) it should be even easier. Its worth a crack even if you have 2 or 3 goes before you get it acceptable.

Cheers

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

I had to make exactly the same repair to the bottom of the wheel arch on my TR3a and I found it relatively easy, even without a wheeling machine.

I was fortunate I was only replacing the bit at the bottom which actually only has a single curve in it, (apart from where it joins the floor in the corner). I cut out the rusty stuff and then having squared off all the edges, I used a piece of thin card to make a template before I cut a piece of steel slightly oversized and trimmed it to shape. Havving tacked it in place, I heated the bottom bit up with a blow torch and hammered it into the curve of the boot floor with a dolly.

It looks fine. Its a lot easier, cheaper and quicker than fitting a whole new inner wing. I did that on the other side and it was pig of a job. Being a 'new' remanufactured part, it only fitted where it touched and needed quite a lot fettling to get it in place.

Rgds Ian

Thanks people for all the info. Haven't quite got round to doing the repair yet - too many jobs too little time! However sounds like its do-able, so I'll have a pop.