I just purchased a 1959 frame with a rebuilt TR4 engine and drive train. It sits on a very nice 59 TR3 frame. my question is;

Can i put a 57 TR3 small mouth body on this frame? i have a chance to purchase the one below locally in Phila PA, USA. I really like the TR2 look.

Thanks, Bill Robinson

It can be done easily. The bumper irons for the front bumper may be different. Keep the registraion for the smallmouth TR3 as the official. Then it can be judged as a 1957 except that the engine numbers will never match the car for originality in a serious concours.

My TR3a has a TR4a engine and box.

Things to look out for are the engine front plate, you need one from a side screen car otherwise it sits very high (easy to see by the rad pipe at the top which should be horizontal). Also the gearbox is slighty longer (a few mm) no big deal though.

Good luck.

Maybe I am not understanding the question, but if you like the look of the small mouth front, why not buy a new small mouth front which will sit on the TR3 frame as normal and only replace the existing. Unless you are trying to fit a TR3 body on to a TR4 chassis. This would be harder. :unsure: