Hi,

couple of questions.I took my 1973 TR6 in to have tuned as I could smell petrol in the exhaust after a run on my clothes.Found two injectors not working properly so they have been sorted?I brought it back and seems to have lost the petrol smell and runs okay but seems a little hesitant,smooth running at 70mph. Last time I had symptoms like this was back in the past with a mini and I changed the points.Have had a look around so wanted to ask what 22D6 and 25D6 points were as they are on some websites?Also could anyone recommend an electronic system or is it taboo to change?cheers

If you want to stay with points get them from Distributor Doctor, and rotor arms.

If you want to go for electronic hall effect the Powerspark do a very reasonably priced kits I use SimonBB www.simonbbc.com/

John

Hello.

If 2 injectors weren't working properly then you would know about it when driving. Check out the pi trouble shooting guide posted by stevevitesse a few days ago to track down the problem.

Anyway your question related to points. Check out the dissy doc website. He will put you right with the correct and reliable ones. I still run points and have had no probs on the road. Although I probably check them more often than in the 70's.

Cheers

Dave

Hi John & Dave,

many thanks for the replies so far.I was looking around and saw the simonbbc site on ebay but wanted to know why they have two sets of points marked up as 22D6 and 25D6.Sorry to say but not looked under the distributor cap yet,shocking to say the least really!Forgot to say the main reason I went to have it checked was I took the plugs out and they were all covered in a light black soot which has been almost impossible to remove off the insulators.

Eric

Have you checked to see how clean the air filter is?

Have you also tried the tongue test on the pipe to the metering unit, it should hold a vacuum.

I think the point base plate that holds the points is different between 22D6 and 25D6

John

Hi John,

renewed the air filter recently for a K&N so that's okay.Was told it could be a faulty MU as found some small bits of rubber in the injectors and replacement with an overhauled one is about £250 so probably that's the way to go.Read the article about the points and its the distributor type so just ordered some.The pipe,is it the little nipple on the MU side where you check for a vacuum?Off out now so will check back later

Eric

Eric,

If I am reading your thread correctly? Was it 2 & 5 injectors that were faulty? If it was they should have replaced the O ring seals on the non- return valves as well which are on the MU? But the MU/Pedestal has to be removed to do this! If it is you do not need a re-con M/U provided you have already an un-leaded M/U?

Bruce.

How difficult is it to replace the MU?Also I have found you can get a screw in injector and a "push in " one.Not sure how that works but how easy are injectors to fit? Would like to get on top of this one.Not sure how long the MU unit has been in the car so may not be okay with unleaded petrol so maybe why the rubber is starting to fall apart.Seems 2 injectors were at fault.I left it to the workshop to tell me what was wrong and to repair it as I pick up the bill at the end of the day.

Erickania

I had the same effect on the plugs and after many £ spent it all came up to balance the air pipes to have the right AFR on all pairs..

Yes is very time consuming, the factory time allowance was about 2 hours:-)