chassis bolts TR4a

Hello there,

I'm at the restoration stage of separating the tub from the chassis but am having difficulty in loosening the tub floor bolts and the rear chassis bolts either side of the boot floor.

Fiirstly could someone confirm the socket size I should be using and also any tips of freeing rusted bolts ?

thanks

Martin

Hi Martin,

welcome to the forum. I think you will need a 1/2"AF socket for the floor bolts and also the rear attachment.

The floor bolts often come out OK but you may need to get under the chassis and clean the threads to help them through.

The rear brackets can rust badly and you may well need to drill them out. Just recently I had to drill sideways into the nut (nut was uppermost) and then split it.

PlusGas or FreeWay to help things along.

Roger

On mine the bolt heads were rounded off. After a few days soaking with penetrating oil, I ground them clean and arc-welded the end of an old large bolt on, which gave me a good large hex to get a socket on, and also heated the seized bolts red-hot. They still needed quite a bit of force on a 2 foot breaker bar, but came out without damage to the chassis.

Pete

Hi Martin,

it would appear that your cursor landed on the 'strike through' (S) box when you went to reply.

You can edit it by going to the bottom righthand corner and clicking 'edit'. THis will allow you to change whatever you wish as per MS Word.

Or didn;t you like the replies !!!! :o

Roger

Martin you can never have to much Plus gas, until I used the forum I thought WD40 was the answer to everything. I was religiously dosing my stuck bolts ( I'm deliberately avoiding the cheap laugh and not saying nuts!) with WD40 to little effect. Then on reading the number of post extolling the verses of Plus Gas thought I would give it a go……… and what a revelation.

I have found however that no matter how big the puddle of excess Plus gas on the garage floor, its ability to free stuck bolts is not increased ?

ATB Graham