Seats dont lock into runners

Hi all,

Recently purchased a TR4a. Spent some time today looking at the seat adjustments and the operation. It appears the catch/latch at the back of the seat near the floor doesnt latch or catch in the runners. They catch seems to be about an inch further back from the back of the runner. I am just wondering if it is because the seats could be TR6 seats with TR4 runners, not sure how I can resolve this as assume the seat needs to be locked to get through it MOT. Also, the slide for the seats are very stiff/binding.

Any advice/thoughts welcome.

Steve

The TR4 runners don't have the adjustable catch plate but according to my original parts boot there is a "spring, seat retaining" original part number 613303. If you look at p178 of the Moss TR6 catalogue you can see the part that Mark is referring to. Your best bet might be to get hold of a pair of TR6 runners as it looks like you do have TR6 seats but best to look too see if there's a catch on the underside of the seat to be sure. I can't remember if my old 4 had a seat catch, I have MX5 seats fitted now, but someone will know for sure. If there was no seat catch originally fitted on a 4 then it can't be a reason for MoT failure but the seat retaining spring might have the same function.

Edited by peejay4A

Ah okay. I think my seats are missing the adjsutable plates on the back of the rail, there is a catch on the bottom of the seat so assume it latches against this plate. Assume these as no longer available so may have to make them unless I just buy complete new runners which look like they come with the parts in question.

Thanks guys

The pivot point for tipping 4A seats forward is very close to the front, is it the same on 6 seats? If the pivot point is further back then when you push the seat back for driving you have gone beyond the point of locking the seat.

For a comfortable driving position I would be on the second last hole, so any difference in the mounting point at the front would soon push you off the end and being able to lock the seat.

I have the runners out and the part that bolts to the floor measures 15 1/2". If you want any detailed photos let me know.

Ah okay. I think my seats are missing the adjsutable plates on the back of the rail, there is a catch on the bottom of the seat so assume it latches against this plate. Assume these as no longer available so may have to make them unless I just buy complete new runners which look like they come with the parts in question.

Thanks guys

Steve. The runners in your photo don't have the means of mounting the adjustable catch plate as they're TR4 ones. The plate isn't a separate item unfortunately. New runners might be the best way forward, or maybe have a word with your MoT man.

I don't understand ANY of the above.

I don't believe original 4A seats had a mechanism to lock them so that they did not tip foward.

Comes in on 5's and after.

Correct Alan. Original 4a seats had no locks. If you have TR6 seats then where the rear bump rubbers are bolted to the runners you will need the two slotted plates that bolt there and they are adjusted to suit the locks whether you use the front holes to mount the seats or the rear ones. The runners are the same from 4a through to 6. It isnt a fail on MOT for the seats to have no lock downs. TR4 earlier seats have totally different runners that are similar to TR3.

Stuart

Edited by stuart

Thanks all, I shall have a word with man at garage about MOT as I believe this and my washer which hopefully I shall have fixed this week, are the only things that are preventing me from getting the car on the road.

Then may update the runners at a later date as the slides dont really work anyway.

Thanks all, I shall have a word with man at garage about MOT as I believe this and my washer which hopefully I shall have fixed this week, are the only things that are preventing me from getting the car on the road.

Then may update the runners at a later date as the slides dont really work anyway.

The runners always used to seize up anyway as the carpet got wet and the runners are bolted through it. A good wash through with some brake cleaner to get rid of all the old grease and gunge and then some lube through and a good working backwards and forwards will help.

Stuart.