Automatic TR6

Guest Guinness

Guest Guinness

Is it possible to fit an automatic gearbox to a TR6, Tr5 or TR4 ?

I friend our mine is looking to sell his Astin Martin DB6 auto and buy a decent car...a TR....he needs to have automatic gearbox...hence what are his options..?

Any advice ..

:D

Yes it's possible, I have seen reports on 2 cars, TR6, fitted with an automatic gearbox, but it's some years ago.

As far as I remember it's not an easy swap as the size of the gearbox cover drastically increases. Not much room left in the footwell.

I think one of the reports was in Triumph World.

Jean

Craig, first try with Tony Beadle via the Triumph World website

If the magazine is still available you can purchase/receive a Copy.

Should it be impossible I could eventually try to find an extra copy for you :D  :D

Jean

p.s. Tony is a very nice person and I don't want to violate his copyright

All,

I haven't done it, but if it can be done to a Vitesse, it can't be such a megatask on a TR, if you except chassis rail mods.

An article in "Turning Circle", Oct 1989 describes the car.   At the Leyland factory a Borg-Warner T35 was fitted, from a Rover 2000 rather than the T2500 as it has a shorter tail housing (I read), that allowed for less chassis rail mods.  The original car had a 3.27 diff.   However, by the time the author of the article, Tony Longley, acquired it, it was not restorable.  He rebuilt another Vitesse on a chassis rebuilt by an engineering firm to accomodate the autobox.  He seems to have managed with the original gearbox cover too!

He reported again about his auto Vitesse, VGX 175G, in No.143 of the "Courier", 1992.  Then he had heard of a Vitesse 1600 prototype, beyond repair, and another auto Vitesse with a ZF box.

So it must be possible!

John

Just looked up the article in TW magazine. The gearbox they used is a Borg and Warner taht came from a 2000 Saloon.

The difference is that the Saloon engine is canted by 15deg so it will make the gearbox canted to the left if mated to an upright engine like the TR6.

They further say that the automatic box is shorter and wider at the front what requires a larger gearbox tunnel and a longer propshaft.

Craig if you wish to order a back issue of Triumph World call

01737 814311 or fax to 01737 814591

Jean