Defevtive DAYTON WIRE RIMS!

I would like to share a problem regarding my Dayton rims and the need to inform everyone on the difficulties I am having with the Company. The rims are “Dayton chrome 60 spoke wires” Model# DU60-155. These are 15”x5” tubeless type I have on my MGA.

I am presently engaged in a disagreement with the company because of a defect with one of them. I have three spokes that have pulled out of the hub with less than 1000 miles on them (See Photo). This defect could be very serious and should be checked if you have these wheels. Mine are presently under a three year warranty; however Dayton has been trying to find every excuse not to warranty them! After several arguments they finally agreed to honor the warranty. However, they would have to determine weather it needs replacing or can be repaired but this they say will be 6 to eight weeks! I want them to send me a new one that I would pay for until they received the damaged one and then credit me back. They refused. Needless to say I will not be buying Dayton wheels for my TR3 restoration. I would think in these economically difficult times that Companies would put more of an effort in pacifying a customer. I guess the good thing about a recession is it does weed out these bad apples!

I wanted to rep[ost to update everyone on a call I received from The President of Dayton Wire Wheels. He gave me a personal phone call to apologize and to send out a replacement ASAP. He stated that they are greatly concerned with the problem and would like there engineers to evaluate why the problem occurred. I was greatly impressed with his response and help as well as the response from this forum. He did indicate that as an owner of several British Cars himself, he was aware of the "Talk" from these forums on this issue. However I do feel his response was sincere regarding the safety rather than the PR it was getting. I will expect them to share the results with us as to why this problem occurred in the event that someone else may have the same problem.

Many thanks to everyone including Charlie C of Dayton Wire Wheels.

Sincerely, Bill Robinson

I wanted to rep[ost to update everyone on a call I received from The President of Dayton Wire Wheels. He gave me a personal phone call to apologize and to send out a replacement ASAP. He stated that they are greatly concerned with the problem and would like there engineers to evaluate why the problem occurred. I was greatly impressed with his response and help as well as the response from this forum. He did indicate that as an owner of several British Cars himself, he was aware of the "Talk" from these forums on this issue. However I do feel his response was sincere regarding the safety rather than the PR it was getting. I will expect them to share the results with us as to why this problem occurred in the event that someone else may have the same problem.

Many thanks to everyone including Charlie C of Dayton Wire Wheels.

Sincerely, Bill Robinson

Pity you had to go to the organ grinder to get somewhere, the monkeys sometimes just dont give a ----. It happens all too often Bill, when they have your money your yesterdays news.

Hope it goes well, looks decidedly dangerous to me, they should have sent you a new set, not just the one!

Edited by pfenlon

Come on Peter,

let's be fair here, Dayton have produced a lot of good rims over the years.

OK, so they get it wrong, and their system doesn't react adequately . . .

So the situation is publicised on this Forum, and hey presto their system leaps into gear . . . .

Well, that's a result, the manufacturer is listening, they're taking notice - let's see if they resolve the problem before we all get too critical . . .

Fingers crossed . . .

Cheers,

Alec

. . . .Well, that's a result, the manufacturer is listening, they're taking notice - let's see if they resolve the problem before we all get too critical . . . Fingers crossed . . .

Agreed, and it just goes to show "where there's a wheel there’s a way!" ;)

Good luck Bill.

Cheers

Andrew