If the nut is on the top put a jack underneath the ball and jack it up enough to put some pressure on the taper- this will hold it !

I am installing new tie rods and when I go to secure them in place, they bolt wants to spin on its axis as I try to tighten the nut. Does anyone know the trick to doing this before I completey screw it up????

I just did this the other day.......And I simply pushed a metal pry bar against the rear side of the piece that's spinning to keep it stable. Just be careful not to pinch the rubber gaitor. It only needs a little help before the taper takes hold and pulls it in by itself.

There are splines - of a sort - on the stud for the nut at the top of the ball joints. You may have to fiddle with this to get it truly vertical as you are tightening the bolt. If it's not truly vertical, it might make the steering stiffer than it should be. After you have it all back together - before you put the rotor back on, swing the axle spindle back and forth to ensure it is smooth and not binding. If it's binding, it's the top ball joint that is not truly vertical.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trebor/don3a_big.JPG

Rhodri's advice is right, but the nut is at the bottom. So you have to make some pressure in another way : this is possible with a vice grip or some other large pliers. (hammering it will ruin the seal at the top and water will get in);

PS:The tie rods have not the same design as the top ball joints of the vertical links : no splines.

A trick I have often used is to temporarily put a couple of thick washers on the stud so the nut can be used to draw the stud into the taper without the nyloc turning the stud. Tighten gently so the stud is firmly in then remove the nut and washers, refit the nut and tighten normally.

Hope this helps

Ian.