srombergs to sus

On a slightly different topic to the PI/carbs, I currently run on strombergs which have never been 100% right. Spares for the strombergs seem to be getting more difficult to get & been advised to change to sus. Has anyone experience of this ? Also been thinking of fitting something like lumintation ignition & wondered if it would be better to fit this before changing carbs. Any thoughts guys ? Thanks Duncan

Hi Duncan

It's very easy to do, they bolt straight on, the easiest source of them S/H is a TR7 breaker, you need to either modify the TR7 linkages or buy new ones [Moss used to sell them] as the carbs are further apart on a 6. I got mine completely overhauled by Burlen, quite expensive, but they do a good job. The existing air cleaner fits them as well and BDM needles are a good starting point.

Ron

Whereabouts in Ayrshire are you?

19TR6engine.jpg

Edited by ron

SU carburettors are a lot easyer to adjust than Strombergs, my car is a USA version where the ZS are changed for SU and i'm very pleased with them.

HS6 aren the most commen and you can find a good manifold from a old 2500TC or 2500S, i believe they also have the right linkages and as Ron told you;Burlen is is a proffesional rebuilder and parts supplier,but remember there are a lot more good small buisnisses at the UK for carb rebuilding.

Go for the SU's Duncan;

Regards,

Frans/Belgium

The Stromberg carbs were fitted to USA cars because SU's and PI could not meet the emission laws.

I believe these carbs have sealed screws so that the jet can't be moved to adjust the mixture.

A weak point of these carbs is the rubber diafragm : if these are perished, the mixture will always be wrong : check very carefully if no pinholes are present by stretching every part of the

diafragms. The smallest leak will ruin the set up. Not much parts are available for Strombergs, but if your car is running too lean, you can alter the needles by make a flat on the needles with a file (it'is not necessary to maintain the round shape of the needles and it's easier to take the same amount of material of the two needles by making a flat on them than spinning the needles and sanding them.

Hi Duncan , wish you had mentioned this last summer , I had a pair of TR7 SUs with the linkage but flogged them at Malvern .

Ron says they will just bolt on but if you do need a manifold I have a couple you can have . Speak soon

Edited by scotty

Hi Duncan

SU's will fit onto your car. Best bet is to buy a set from a late 2500S as Frans said. The jets will need changing from waxstat type and they will need a good service including gaskets, needles, springs etc. Andrew Turner will do a part exchange for around £225 complete with manifold. His work is excellent and includes the linkage etc. He replaces the jets and needles, butterflies, springs and anything elsle that needs doing. The carbs and manifold are all spotless and the dashpots all polished. I bought a set from him at Stoneleigh this year.

One word of caution, early TR6s (CC25003 - CC67893 I think) have a different cylinder head and the 2500S manifold does not fit. This cylinder head assy number is 516323 which is stamped on the casting. It is still possible to fit SUs but a little bit more involved. Some of these early cars may have been fitted with a different head, as an exchange unleaded head (mine has). In this case the 2500S maniflod should fit, so it is worth checking the head assy nos.

Good luck

Tony

• 1 month later...

Thanks all for the replies, bought a set of recon SUs from Andrew Turner (usual disclaimer) look lovely & make a big difference, definitely upsetting the neighbours !! Thanks All Duncan