Help, Help - all you mechanical guru's !!!

Please - I hope someone can offer me some advice before I do something I regret?

Decided to remove engine from car (another story) - originally intended to leave gearbox in situ, but having undone all necesssry bolts etc. could not get engine and gearbox to seperate. Managed about 5mm gap by jiggling.

So after about 2 hrs frustration decided to bring gearbox out as well - lots of grunting and groaning, but now out and blocked up on garage floor.

Removed the 30 odd years of grime and once again looked at seperating the gearbox from the block.

All manuals indicate that they should pull apart - as have other engines Ive done!!

But I just cant get these to shift, by careful levering and chocking with wood packing Ive manage about 20mm - but it feels very solid and Im afraid if I get any more forceful one of the castings will go??

Please does anybody have any idea what could be holding them together???

Ever Hopeful

Graham

.........and the starter motor? If you can get a bolster (wide cold chisel) in the tight part and either close the wide gap (in effect levers the ballhousing (that should be bellhousing, not scrotum!) away from the engine), or knock the bolster around with a lump hammer - a tyre lever is a good alternative.

Edited by jonlar

If you have room reach in and undo all the bolts holding the clutch cover onto the flywheel and prise it off the flywheel. it could be the gearbox splines catching on the clutch plate splines.

THESE CARS ARE SIMPLE. They were designed by humans, the parts were made by humans, the cars were assembles by humans (as opposed to animals or robots), so they can be taken apart by humans. Keep trying. Keep at it. Don't give up. Ask more questions when you discover more. When you get it apart, you will feel a real sense of achievment.

Ive had this so dont fret.

Its a combination if the clutch plate catching on the splines of the input shaft and possibly the spigot bush being worn enough to grip the end of the input shaft. usually with a worn out clutch if its been there a long time.

Either way, get a long screwdriver down the gap betwixt engine and gearbox, without damaging the alloy flange of the box and block the screwdriver with the blade on the clutchplate folding it fast (against the direction of rotation, so that the clutch is stuck and the input shaft can rotate) much as you would use a ringear tool when removing the flywheel.

Rotate the output shaft on the end of the gearbox whilst pulling and rocking gently, all the teeth will engage and it should all slide off the dowel at the top of the bellhousing. If you leave two of the bolts in at the top it will stop it all falling on your toes.

A certain combination of patience and brute force is required ...... a true triumph problem. Let us know how you get on !

Regards

Tony

• 2 weeks later...