wolf race wheels

Has anyone any experience of fitting 7" wolf race from a scimitar to a TR6. The car is currently up in the air and the front wheels appear to hit the suspension when you turn the steering. Is this just becasue the car is in the air or will i have to look at spacers and longer studs

I once knew a guy with Wolfies on a TR6 & they looked very nice but the were only 6 inch &, as you’ve already sort of discovering, 7 inch rims on a standard car will give all sorts of problems with clearance aside from putting additional stress on a 1960’s stub axle design!

There have been many previous discussion threads on wide wheels/tyres & the problems they present for the standard 6 so a read back through the archive posts will give you a good grounding; personally I think 7 inch rims are too much for the standard 6 with regard to clearance & the relatively ancient suspension design!

Has anyone any experience of fitting 7" wolf race from a scimitar to a TR6. The car is currently up in the air and the front wheels appear to hit the suspension when you turn the steering. Is this just becasue the car is in the air or will i have to look at spacers and longer studs

I once knew a guy with Wolfies on a TR6 & they looked very nice but the were only 6 inch &, as you’ve already sort of discovering, 7 inch rims on a standard car will give all sorts of problems with clearance aside from putting additional stress on a 1960’s stub axle design!

There have been many previous discussion threads on wide wheels/tyres & the problems they present for the standard 6 so a read back through the archive posts will give you a good grounding; personally I think 7 inch rims are too much for the standard 6 with regard to clearance & the relatively ancient suspension design!

Graham,

When I got my TR6 in 1984 it was fitted with 7 x 15 Wolfrace wheels. Not the slot ones fitted to Scimitars but the vane-type ones which I personally think are much better looking. I left the wheels on for the next 6 years until I started restoring the car in 1990...I still haven't finished it but the "newly-restored" shell is still sitting on those wheels!

The front wheels have always been fitted with spacers. From memory I think they are about 5/8th inch thick. I don't know if they were made especially for my car or came from Wolfrace. Even with the spacers fitted, at low speeds on full lock some part of the wheel always fouled some part of the suspension. I always just backed off a bit of lock.

Hope that helps. If you're interested, I could try and move the junk around the car and photgraph one of the spacers (assuming I remembered to put them back on 16 years ago!).

Regards,

Paul

Graham,

I run my 6 with 7" period wolfrace slotmags and they look great

I have spacers both front and rear with extended studs. The spacers are about 1/2" thick.

Hope this helps

oh yes and by the way they are a pain in the behind to keep shinney

Graham,

I run my 6 with 7" period wolfrace slotmags and they look great

I have spacers both front and rear with extended studs. The spacers are about 1/2" thick.

Hope this helps

oh yes and by the way they are a pain in the behind to keep shinney

They came with the car But I believe they are readily available, I saw some at the Triumph show at stoneleigh. (what a rip off off that show was)

cheers Tin

I have 6 1/2 inch Wolfrace on my 6, this since 1975 and I use 1/4 inch spacers. But the wheels still slightly touch the upper wishbones when reversing with full lock.

I fully agree with Richard to avoid spacers as much as possible, but up to now I noticed no adverse effects as long as you keep your driving behavior within limits <_< To compensate for the tread loss I had original wheelnuts re-machined to fit the Wolfraces and the spacers. For that task I bought 16 wheelnuts at the International for a few pounds :) These are anyhow better quality than those provided with most wheels. At the next occasion I will fit larger stops to the steering lock, this will widen the turning circle, but will also prevent scratching the wisbones.

I also run mine on 7" wolfies and have done on all my 6's. Aside from the afore mentioned wishbone scrape on lock, I've never had any issues....and they're fitted with 215/60's.

I think you'll find the scimitar wheels are 14". unless they've been swapped.