Vent Lid seal removal

I want to renew the rubber seal which encircles the vent opening and which forms the seal when the lid is closed.

Is there a particular knack in doing this minor job? I have a fear of small nuts etc dropping into the void, never to be retrieved.

Any advice accepted ( apart from get the garage to do it! ) :rolleyes:

Thanks

I want to renew the rubber seal which encircles the vent opening and which forms the seal when the lid is closed.

Is there a particular knack in doing this minor job? I have a fear of small nuts etc dropping into the void, never to be retrieved.

Thanks

I dont recall this being that hard, are the nuts not welded to the plenum ?

The hard part is getting the new seal to fit. The ones that are available here in the US need considerable trimming to get the lid to close properly. I went through two seals before I figured out where and how much to trim.

Stan

Thanks

Hi Richard....got a TR4 myself but I believe the vents are similar.

Place an old blaket over the bonnet to protect the paintwork.

Even with the opening rod temporarily disconnected, the vent will never open a full 90 degrees.so don't force it.Just lift the vent partially and push the bent rod to one side.

Suggest either stuffing a rag/paper towel down the hole or taping the bottom half of an envelope to the back edge ..to catch the little screws.If you go slowly releasing them you will be OK.

With the vent lid free and out of the way, you can clean up the area, having removed the old rubber gasket.I laid the new gasket over the aperture and found that the pre-cut holes were'nt lining up correcly.I resorted using a belt hole puncher to get a more satisfactory result.I put some rubber glue in the trough surround and glued the gasket in.When set, I checked the operation of the vent hinge was OK,oiled it and put the screws back in.

Putting the centre screw in first, with the open front raised slightly.....before "it came into land" in the right position seemed to work for me !!

With the vent partially open I stuck my fingers in.... to re-connect the opening rod.Job done.

It's a straight forward job as suggested but, like Stan, I found I had to trim the new seal considerably before it would allow the vent lid to close properly; it almost looked like someone made it from a photograph! I trimmed mine with a sharp pair of hair scissors but do it carefully & take your time or it’ll end up looking like a total bodge.