Speedometer Angle Drive

Having just replaced all speedometer drive components, on fully tightening the speedometer angle drive ('A' type overdrive) to the bearing housing, I've noted that the angle drive has an element of fore and aft float and is free to rotate around it's centre (prior to connecting to the speedo cable!). Is this normal ? I would have expected that on fully tightening to the bearing housing, the angle drive would be held securely in place Many thanks.

Check both parts of the thread on box and drive are really clean,also that they are not damaged causing cross threading!!

If its the one you took off,it should go back on!! if its not,is it the right one??

Dont rush it or force it!! you should be able to do it with your fingers,just nipping up with pliers at the end.

Edited by PILKIE
Check both parts of the thread on box and drive are really clean,also that they are not damaged causing cross threading!!

If its the one you took off,it should go back on!! if its not,is it the right one??

Dont rush it or force it!! you should be able to do it with your fingers,just nipping up with pliers at the end.

Thanks for info. I'll ensure threads are absolutely clean, however bearing is new, while angle drive was original. It's possbile that this has damaged threads from removal of components in the past. Do I need to be careful with oil selected when topping up gearbox/OD on completion of this work? I've just purchased some EP80/90 gear oil from Halfords, but remember reading somewhere that overdrives are not happy with modern lubricants.

Thanks for info. I'll ensure threads are absolutely clean, however bearing is new, while angle drive was original. It's possbile that this has damaged threads from removal of components in the past. Do I need to be careful with oil selected when topping up gearbox/OD on completion of this work? I've just purchased some EP80/90 gear oil from Halfords, but remember reading somewhere that overdrives are not happy with modern lubricants.

The repro stuff available from major suppliers in the states are very poor quality and expensive ($100). Many of us (TR-250/6) have removed the angle drive and using a longer cable, run straight from the trans to the speedo.

Be very careful with the gearbox/OD oil. EP oil is probably not the best stuff to use as the clutch mechanism within the OD overheats the EP components (sulphur and the like) and generates solid particles which bung up the oil ways etc.

A fairly normal gear oil would do fine such as Castrol XXL or Penrite 40 or 50 grade. (30 is a bit thin and will find all the leaks!!!) EP oils go in the diff.

I think the handbook for the 4 indicated EP oils but the 4A does not (or is it the otherway around!!).

Gearbox gears have a different loading compared to differentials - hence the different oil types

Roger

The repro stuff available from major suppliers in the states are very poor quality and expensive ($100). Many of us (TR-250/6) have removed the angle drive and using a longer cable, run straight from the trans to the speedo.

Thanks for useful information.

Be very careful with the gearbox/OD oil. EP oil is probably not the best stuff to use as the clutch mechanism within the OD overheats the EP components (sulphur and the like) and generates solid particles which bung up the oil ways etc.

A fairly normal gear oil would do fine such as Castrol XXL or Penrite 40 or 50 grade. (30 is a bit thin and will find all the leaks!!!) EP oils go in the diff.

I think the handbook for the 4 indicated EP oils but the 4A does not (or is it the otherway around!!).

Gearbox gears have a different loading compared to differentials - hence the different oil types

Roger

Excellent - many thanks