Rear Light Cluster

Guys

Please see the attached photograph of the backing plates to my rear light clusters. For some time I have been receiving comments that the light output from the passenger side lights did not match the driver's side. Now I know why. The diffusers on the driver's side look to be original but as you can see there is no diffuser for the passenger's indicator and the one for the stop/tail is smaller on the passenger's side than on the driver's.

Yes, I know it all works and is legal, but whilst the lights are off for the repaint, and I have found the problem I thought I would resolve it.

However, our estemed main suppliers advise me that the diffusers are an integral part of the light unit and not stocked separately. Do you know better? It seems to me that they are only clipped/rivetted in and easily changeable.

As ever, thanks in advance for any input you can give to help to sort this one.

Regards

Tim

Tim

I was lucky enough to get a pair of, brand new original rear lights (years ago)! It does seem like the sort of thing that would only come as part of the main light assembly (that’s Lucas for you); only thing I can suggest is to try getting some reflectors from second-hand lights but how plentiful these are I have no idea - I’m hanging on to mine! Try TRGB or TR Shop who both used to keep extensive second-hand stock or you could remove the reflector from the offside light, then at least they will match!

Tim,

Sounds like your TR has had a replacement base unit fitted at some time in the past. The new ones that were available a few years ago came without the reflectors, so it sounds like a previous owner has replaced the base unit and didn't fit the reflectors from the old unit. TR Bitz had a containor full of complete and incomplete light units in the not too distant past and should be able to either supply a complete rear light unit or reflectors from a damaged one.

Regards

Derek

Guys

Please see the attached photograph of the backing plates to my rear light clusters. For some time I have been receiving comments that the light output from the passenger side lights did not match the driver's side. Now I know why. The diffusers on the driver's side look to be original but as you can see there is no diffuser for the passenger's indicator and the one for the stop/tail is smaller on the passenger's side than on the driver's.

Yes, I know it all works and is legal, but whilst the lights are off for the repaint, and I have found the problem I thought I would resolve it.

However, our estemed main suppliers advise me that the diffusers are an integral part of the light unit and not stocked separately. Do you know better? It seems to me that they are only clipped/rivetted in and easily changeable.

As ever, thanks in advance for any input you can give to help to sort this one.

Regards

Tim

Rear lights pop up on eBay quite regularly, some are cheap with the chrome in poor condition and I have bought a few of them over the last few years for parts. The reflectors can get very brittle with age and the reflective surface tends to wear off so the trick is to get one that doesnt fall apart when you remove it and be prepared to be creative with the mirror surface (paint, tape etc). In the US they sell silver aluminum tape that is used for home heating systems. That seems to work pretty well for this purpose (very shiny and sticks like duct tape).

Stan

Havent had to do it with rears but I did have to convert a pair of the front side/indicator bases on my car as the originals were too far gone . I could only get second hand US style ones , an hour whith a drill and rivet gun on the separators converted both units to the UK spec . If you can get a second hand unit you should be able to convert .

Hi All

On the subject of rear lights, one of my units has lost a reflector panel (Full height, about two inches wide) and I was wondering what the esteemed members might recommend as a suitable adhesive for sticking it back on? (Luckily it came off in my hand ^_^ ). Super glue, araldite, clear mastic?

Thoughts appreciated.

Best

Dave