Clear coat over acrylic ?

About 15 years ago I had my 6 painted with acrylic lacquer. It has held up well but it needs some minor repairs to paint chips etc. The paint seems more brittle than I would like and in some areas like around the snaps for the top the paint is very prone to chipping.

I’m planning to fix some of that and put some soft washers under the plastic snaps when I refit them to discourage chipping but I’m still wondering what to do about making the paint look better and more hardy. I was wondering about clear coat and whether it is even possible to put clear coat over acrylic (cellulose ?) or if that just wont work ?

Stan

Hi Stan

A word of caution.

Way back in the early 60's when I first left school, one of the jobs I had was as a lab assistant in a paint manufacturing company. They manufactured paint for the auto industry which at that time was cellulose, for most cars and oil based alkyd based coach paint for lorries, busses, trains etc.

One of the things I remember about cellulose paint was that if you sprayed it straight on top of coach paint (or house paint) it acted like a paint stripper. The paint underneath would soften and wrinkle up. To stop this happening there was a "sealer" paint which was made from shellac, which is unaffected by celulose thinners, methylated spirit and grey pigment. It was known as a primer sealer and was sprayed on first preventing the cellulose thinners from attacking the paint underneath.

Now I don't know about acrylic paint but I wouldn't be surprised to find the cellulose laquer would lift it off. So be very carefull before spraying cellulose laquer on top of anything other than cellulose.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Stan, Tony is very right here. I was informed by a paintshop that for a god paint job the previous layers have to be removed down to the bottom, and to never mix layers. Even if they do not inter-react at once you risk that the top coat will detach from the next layer after some time :(

I’m not 100% certain (forgot!) but I think you can put Acrylic over cellulose but not the other way around; but, as jeans says, it’s best not to mix different paint formulations.

Richard that is correct you can put acrylic over cellulose but not vice versa. but as per other postings you should really for the best and lasting finish remove all that is underneath.However it is some times possible to put a coat of two pack laquer over older well cured paint. It would be best to try a small area were it isnt seen too much as a test. sometmes it is suprising what you can get away with as a short term fix.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart