Bad Vibration

Hi All

Where shall I start....

Replaced both rear hubs and lowered springs all round (1" lower).

Replaced trailing arm brackets and bushes.

Lots of new nuts and bolts.

Checked wheel alignment with Daniel (in Hemel) yesterday (really nice bloke), all sorted.

Got bad vibrations!?!?

Appears to be coming from the rear

When i refitted the diff I lined up the marks I put on the shaft but thinking about it - were there any other marks I could have mistakenly lined up? will need to check this as well!

Not got it on the ramps yet but is there anything obvious I should look at first?

All thoughts / comments gratefully accepted

Gives me something to do over xmas (as if I didn't have anything else to do)

Many thanks

Rob

ok check the obvious first,

are the tyres round with no bulges in the tread, run your had over the tread any vibration inducing buldges will feel like mountains, altenitavly any fast fit centre can whip the wheels off and spin them up on a ballencer to see if they are nice and round

Thanks guys

I forgot to mention the speeds involved...

Vibration starts at about 50mph, reduces around 60mph and is undriveable at 70mph - didn't go above that as it's illegal :lol:

Will get it on the ramps at the w/e but all suggestions gratefully received (even if they do state the blindingly obvious) I'm not ruling anything out at the moment.

I'm going more towards UJ's at the moment but I don't know why.

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob

Sounds like a UJ thing. It could be to do with lowering the car as this changes the angle that the ujs are used to operating at. There have been a few threads relating to uj vibration when cars are loaded up for touring - worth an archive search.

Dave

Rob,

Also make sure your UJs are in phase; i.e. the yokes and crosses should align. Theoretically these could be re-assembled incorrectly at the slip joints. You can also check the wheels for runout using a pointer touching the vertical face of the rim while turning. Should be very little gap variation on this test. I once found this condition to be caused by a bent hub, which elastically distorted the alloy wheel and gave visible runout.

When I refurbed my rear end this summer I painted the hubs with POR15. The thickness of the paint on the inner edge of the hub center hole was enough to stop the hub from sitting square on the axle and there was a lot of vibration and visible runout when I examined the hub with the wheel removed. So I would also check that the rear hubs are on square and attached firmly.

Stan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys, have now had a look underneath and unless there is supposed to be more play in a UJ than I've had in my underwear this year :o - it is looking very much like it's the UJ at the back of the prop shaft. Need to remove the gearbox to replace the clutch so shouldn't be too hard to sort while i'm there.

Thought I'd make a note for anyone else who may encounter a similar problem in the future.

Best Wishes to all in 2007.

Rob