Spa Summer Classic 2024 (better spring classic)

Spa...always fun.

Best measured speed trap speed was 224.5 kph....a fraction faster than the BMW M1 ProCar with 224.1 kph.....Yeah - Group 44 design still going strong.

1416372926_SSC2024-4467a1.thumb.jpg.17c52a16f1c40de64a190401aca9bbee.jpg

grafik.thumb.png.92807f503a9d76310a4e6e89d3fb67ff.png

Edited by MadMarx

That must be fun in the dry. 
congratulations Christian. 

Well done Christian. You had 2 good results with the TR7 and did well with the TR4 too  

My best ever was 207.7 kph at the 2018 event on a 4.1 diff. 4th fastest for our Classic races that year. 

We should be back in Sept at the 6 hour meeting. 
Dave McD

IMG_2865.thumb.png.e7616586ac37ac995bb159c1d5b6ae17.png

4 hours ago, Dave McDonald said:

Well done Christian. You had 2 good results with the TR7 and did well with the TR4 too  

My best ever was 207.7 kph at the 2018 event on a 4.1 diff. 4th fastest for our Classic races that year. 

We should be back in Sept at the 6 hour meeting. 
Dave McD

IMG_2865.thumb.png.e7616586ac37ac995bb159c1d5b6ae17.png

What does it Rev to Dave ?

4th or 4th OD for that speed ?

Posted (edited)

@Dave McDonald someone on facebook told me that these topspeed figures are not right as the measurement is designed for F1.

means they measure in the braking zone of the old cars and not getting the real top speed. If you brake late, your topspeed is higher.

On my data logging the topspeed is 255kph.

Edited by MadMarx
2 hours ago, Hamish said:

What does it Rev to Dave ?

4th or 4th OD for that speed ?

Hamish, 

4th, no overdrive.
Rev limit at 7400 rpm but try to not exceed 7200. Tyres 205 60 15. 

After being joint 2nd quickest top speed (not lap time) the following year on 205.7kph in qualifying I broke the cam sprocket off the end of the camshaft on the first lap of the first race, due to harmonic crank vibrations at high revs. Weekend over. 

For the last visit in 2022 I used a 3.9 diff to reduce engine revs slightly. Weather was wet so speeds well down but no engine issues. 

Fingers crossed for this year with 3.9 diff and newly refreshed engine. 
Dave McD

1 hour ago, MadMarx said:

@Dave McDonald someone on facebook told me that these topspeed figures are not right as the measurement is designed for F1.

means they measure in the braking zone of the old cars and not getting the real top speed. If you brake late, your topspeed is higher.

On my data logging the topspeed is 255kph.

Hi Christian, 

Yes, I always thought that was the case. My car is really good on the brakes so I can leave it very late - and it did get round Les Combes, where I can sometimes make passes. 
I am realistic, look down the list and you will see behind me Chevy Camaro (very heavy) and various TVRs (short wheelbase, very twitchy in the following corners) which have to brake much earlier than me. They are unquestionably quicker than me before braking so my speed is perhaps artificially represented. 
However, it’s there on record and all good for bragging rights later in the paddock!! 
Will you be at the September 6 hour meeting?

Dave McD

Dave that’s very impressive

7.2 are monster revs I guess billet cranks give you that. 

Hamish,

Yes, steel billet crank, Carillo rods, 78mm JE forged pistons, strengthened/strapped main bearing caps, cast alloy sump to stiffen crankcase skirt, high lift cam, enlarged cam followers, roller rockers, gas flowed 2500S cyl head, triple Weber 45dcoe carbs and most importantly, ATI harmonic crank damper serviced with new O ring kit every season and a lightweight flywheel with twin plate 7 1/4” clutch and dog box. 
Enormous fun. 
Dave McD

What a wonderful spec. 
enjoyment long after the cost is forgotten I hope