Do the coil bracket mounting holes on the block go into the engine oil galleries?

Folks one of my winter projects was to move the ignition coil from the side of the block, to the left inner wheel arch. I always thought having the coil on the block subjected it to a lot of heat, plus there were already two holes on the inner arch that looked factory to me that fit the coil bracket, (does anyone else have these holes on their car?), so I thought “why not”?

Anyway, today I drove the car for the first time this year and when I got home I found a misting of oil on the side of the block, the oil head/filter, the distributor pedestal, basically that entire area. With the engine running I checked all around and to my surprise I saw oil “spitting” from the two coil mounting holes on the block!

Do these holes go into the engine oil galleries, or do I have a block problem to deal with?:wacko:

thanks

Jim

Not into the oil galleries though - just into the crankcase. Just put screws in the holes.

Thanks guys!! That was the answer I was hoping for.

BTW - the other winter job I did, (based on recommendation Mick made a while ago), was removing and cleaning the oil filter head assembly. At first I thought that might be what was leaking! Anyway, mine was fairly clean with just some sludge around the spring/ball assemblies. However I’m now seeing almost 10 pounds more oil pressure indicated on the gauge, so it was worth the effort.

Jim