TOXIC SMELL

It seems tyo me there are two or three possible sources of fumes. All the rubber fuel pipes in the boot are, I'm told, more likely to allow fumes from unleaded petrol to pass than was the case with 4 star. I find that a petrol smell can build up in the boot which is separate from the exhaust smell. I'm sure the exhaist smell is sucked into the boot from the exhaust pipes, probably because of the aerodynamics of the rear end. I tried pipe extensions which turned down, as suggested earlier in thsi thread, but found them not to make much difference. I was reminded of that when I found them, rusting , during a recent garage clearout.

Modern car designers must have resolved the problem, as exhaust pipes seem to end somewhere hidden by the bodywork on many new cars, without any smell inside the car.

References to keeping the engine breather pipe clear and closing a hole on the oil cap suggest that others may be getting smells from the engine itself, which, I think, would get in via holes in the bulkhead (there always seems to be one uncovered) or the air intake.

Oddly, having just fitted a steel hardtop to the 6, the fumes inside the 6 seem hardly noticeable compared to the situation with the soft top raised. I'm puzzled by that.

Modern car designers must have resolved the problem, as exhaust pipes seem to end somewhere hidden by the bodywork on many new cars, without any smell inside the car.

Might the presence of a cat on modern cars account for the reduction (or at least change) in smell of the fumes? Has anyone fitted a cat to any TR? (Serious question - no pussy jokes please!!)

I plan to use my TR6 to drive to my wedding next year. However, I have recently been warned off the idea by my other half because I will stink of 'car', so guess its a problem on mine as well...

I just assumed it was the exhuast leaking somewhere, but its obviously a more widespread problem, which blows the excuse to buy a new twin sports system.

I plan to use my TR6 to drive to my wedding next year. However, I have recently been warned off the idea by my other half because I will stink of 'car', so guess its a problem on mine as well...

I just assumed it was the exhuast leaking somewhere, but its obviously a more widespread problem, which blows the excuse to buy a new twin sports system.

Are you sure that you are doing the right thing? You must agre that 'Eau De TR6' is far beter than Chanelle

:D The Pong Has Gone!!!

I have found a cure, but I think that this might only work if your car has a K&N cone filter attached directly to the intake manifold

1) go for a nice drive. It is sunny and warm in poole today

2) return from drive pissed off that your car smells like rotting doodahs

3) have a large scotch

4) seduce wife, girl friend,

mistress or next door neighbour's wife (the actual girl does not matter)

5) remove her tights or stockings

6) rush down to your garage, remove K&N filter, fit tights over manifold and go for a drive.

The toxic smell from my TR has gone, also the plugs are far cleaner than before.

:D The Pong Has Gone!!!

I have found a cure, but I think that this might only work if your car has a K&N cone filter attached directly to the intake manifold

1) go for a nice drive. It is sunny and warm in poole today

2) return from drive pissed off that your car smells like rotting doodahs

3) have a large scotch

4) seduce wife, girl friend,

mistress or next door neighbour's wife (the actual girl does not matter)

5) remove her tights or stockings

6) rush down to your garage, remove K&N filter, fit tights over manifold and go for a drive.

The toxic smell from my TR has gone, also the plugs are far cleaner than before.

OK...does this mean you're running without and air filter?

Have you tried cleaning your K&N filter, with K&N filter cleaning solution? You will be amaized how much c**p comes out

Mike G

Thanks Mike, but I bought a new one only 2 wks ago to try and solve the problem

Robert

Of ten the smell is fumes being sucked into the boot. Notice how the lenses on the rear lights get darker with a build up on the inside?

Make sure the light rubbers/seals are in good condition and sealing properly. Likewise the boot seal.

Make sure that the fuel hoses (including the filler neck) in the boot are in excellent condition and there are no leaks or even miniscule drips from the tank or the fuel filter.